Sign in to follow this  
kaha

ORBX TE Washington released

On 6/2/2020 at 11:52 PM, planechaser said:

The regions from almost 10 years ago still have more high res textures and in my opinion look fine.

with photo and ortho scenery , Xplane seems like the king here.  But FS2020 is coming down the pipe and it might be just what we need to fly in real "photorealistic" scenery.

The old regions are OK if you ignore the roads running through houses, golf courses and parks, and can live with the fact that you're seeing fake, repeating scenery tiles.

TrueEarth is a different product with a different design ethos. And...I think you may have forgotten what FS98 looks like if you think TrueEarth looks the same!

As for X-plane - it has its own problems. There is certainly nothing intrinsically wrong with P3D for ortho, and in fact - as someone who flies both sims a great deal, and always with orthoscenery - I prefer Prepar3d, by a significant margin. So I would definitely not consider X-plane "the king",  not at all, that is not even close to true.

I'm personally very happy that the days of landclass scenery are nearing an end. I'd be even happier if Orbx had given us some truly hi-res ortho with their TrueEarth regions, but if it's not up to one's personal standard it is relatively easy to brew your own base layer.

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."