Sign in to follow this  
dr_roshan

Temp Black square on approach

3 hours ago, scianoir said:

Hi Roshan, 

It’s a little unusual that the order of your scenery.cfg does not match the order you see in the scenery library. Just to confirm you are looking at the main scenery.cfg file in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX ? There is also a scenery.cfg file in the FSX root folder which is some sort of backup cfg

Bill

Hi Bill,

yes the one in program data and not main FSX root.

dont know if thats an issue or should i reorder it using the scenery editor.

Roshan

7 hours ago, dr_roshan said:

Hi Bill,

yes the one in program data and not main FSX root.

dont know if thats an issue or should i reorder it using the scenery editor.

Roshan

Hi Roshan,

I would be surprised if that is related to the black textures you are seeing, but I might be wrong, so it might be worth reordering it anyway!

Bill

21 minutes ago, scianoir said:

Hi Roshan,

I would be surprised if that is related to the black textures you are seeing, but I might be wrong, so it might be worth reordering it anyway!

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks a lot.

Good day.

Roshan

Let us know if that gets rid of the black textures please, Roshan? Have a good day too.

Bill

56 minutes ago, scianoir said:

Let us know if that gets rid of the black textures please, Roshan? Have a good day too.

Bill

Improved it a bit i guess but did not eliminate it.

I don't think it really matters how powerful the computer is (CPU / GPU). I had this issue when still running my ORBX scenery on my ten year old Core i7 970 which had an old GTX580 GPU. That machine finally died in April this year and I built a new Ryzen 2700+ with RTX2070 Super machine to replace it. But I still get these black textures just as much on the brand new machine as I did the old one. Well, it might be a little bit better but not by much. I just live with it knowing they will always disappear after a few seconds, though it certainly is an immersion breaker. It manifests in two ways. Large black squares when approaching an airport with ILS and tiny black specs if I am perhaps 15 - 20 nm out from an ORBX airport.

I was just looking again into this issue over the last day and Roshan, if you haven't already it might be worth just experimenting with the "TextureMaxLoad= " parameter (which goes under the [DISPLAY] stanza (as opposed to the Texture_Max_Load which is a separate parameter). My understanding is it is a multiplier for number of texture bytes loaded per frame and the default setting (if it is not included already in the fsx.cfg file) is apparently 6. So "TextureMaxLoad=6" (but without the quotes).

I was mucking over the last day and setting mine to a value of 36 instead of 6 seems to be yielding positive results in terms of temporary black textureless squares but I need to experiment more to see if it really does consistently work and does not introduce any unwanted side effects (i have not seen any so far). I did try intermediate values but I seemed to have to push it to 36 for the black squares to go away.

I guess we need to bear in mind when FSX first came onto the market, computer / GPU speeds were nothing remotely what they are now so perhaps modern machines are able to do this "per frame" texture loading far more efficiently than older machines.

As I say, I haven't mucked with it enough myself to make any definitive judgement except that in a 90 minute test flight across ORBX scenery where I have always seen black squares before, I saw no black squares for the first time and no side effects. But that is just one test flight on my system and my setup. I have read of another person using 36 so I guess that is at least two of us though!