Sign in to follow this  
Rolf Winterscheidt

Zulu-Flightplans?

Hi pilots,

when flying from a smaller airfield in Germany, you cannot directly file IFR. Instead I fly VFR from this airfield to a pickup IFR waypoint or a VOR etc. nearby and check in there with radar ("D-EXYZ passing 1500ft"). I know in the states you can even call them by phone and start IFR without even using the radio. What would be the best way to make it as close to reality in Germany as possible? Just filing IFR from EDKB to EHBK IFR would result in the same as filing from an airport like EDDK with ground handling etc. which is not how it works on such airfields here.

Best,

Rolf

You can try the procedure used to pick-up after a disconnect in flight.

When you are ready to initiate the Flight plan:

1. Disconnect/reconnect P2A
  2. File the Flight Plan
  3.  Make the initial call to ATC "<CallSign> climbing to 5000 ft" or something similar
  4.  You should get a squawk code to enter, and a radar contact call after you enter it

All should proceed normally after that.

Dave

Thanks a lot and again for this hint! I will try out. 

Just as a suggestion: It would be awesome if there were DataRefs for communicating to P2A like this or even to add more to it with e.g. FlywithLUA.