Sign in to follow this  
waleed

34 inch monitor advice Please

I was looking at an LG 38 inch (LG 38GL950G) to replace my 10 year old LG E2750, but the one I want is not likely to arrive in time before I move countries.

I would like advice on a good 34 inch monitor instead as those are readily available.

I will use it for Simming, and for some gaming (nowhere near pro status lol).

I have a 9900k and a 2080ti, so higher end should be fine.

Some monitors I am looking at:

1-34 "LCD Acer Predator X34P - IPS, QHD, 4ms, 120Hz, 300cd/m2, 100M: 1,21: 9, HDMI, DP, USB, speaker, pivot, G-Sync

2-MSI Optix MPG341CQR 34 "C/3440x1440/3000: 1/2ms/144H

3- "WLED ASUS PG349Q ROG

4-LG 34GL750 - QHD, IPS, 2xHDMI, DP

5-LG 34GN850-B 34

Thanks in advance for any and all insight.

Edited by waleed

Waleed N

@waleed, if you're about to move countries you should hold back buying as the plug may not be compatible with the electricity supply in your new country.

One piece of advice. Make sure any monitor can support 30Hz. You won't need this when playing games but P3D does benefit from 30Hz if you choose to use that option. The alternative is messing around forcing 60Hz to 30Hz and may involve compromises.

IPS monitors are the highest quality, followed by VA with TN being the lowest quality. Buy the best you can afford. This is an excellent site... https://pcmonitors.info/

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks for the advice Ray.

Firstly the sockets in the new place will take the three plug fine so no worries.

The problem is that the country I am going to has a horrendous tax on electronics, and as I am moving I get one tax free shipment of home furniture and electronics.

I am anxious to get it before we leave, which is now unknown lol, as the concerned government is not up front with reopening the airport so I may have gotten enough time to order the original with a twist.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/lg-ultragear-38gn950-b-quad-hd-38-curved-nano-ips-lcd-gaming-monitor-black-10205235-pdt.html

I am checking to see if they ship to Dubai, as the supplier in Dubai does not have a delivery date n the old one, let alone this newer version.

Plus, as it is going overseas it means I do not pay taxes (200 or so) and that may cover the shipping cost.

What do you think of this one Ray?

Waleed N

Hi Waleed,

It's an excellent monitor based on this review. https://www.techspot.com/review/1976-lg-38gl950g-ultragear/

Overclockers UK have the same price as Curry's so no discounts available by the look of things. If Curry's don't ship overseas then Overclockers may. It was a company formed by my late nephew 20 years ago. Now under new management but they're an excellent company. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-38gn950-b-38-3840x1600-nano-ips-freesync-g-sync-compatible-160hz-1ms-hdr-600-curved-gaming-monit-mo-15q-lg.html

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, thanks for the advice.

For the record, I hung up with Overclockers Uk about 15 minutes ago. I will need to order it on the phone direct as it is shipping overseas.

I am waiting for a more certain availability date from them so I can make sure it gets here before I leave so hopefully it all works out.

As far as discount is concerned, it will be tax free, so the shipping only raises the price by a hundred pounds, which is still about two hundred less than the older version her in Dubai which is/ and has been expected in 13 days for a month or so now.

Waleed N

Hi Waleed, as a non-standard order that seems logical. If shipping is that expensive are you saving enough to justify buying it outside the UK which I presume is your intended destination? VAT here is 20% but I wouldn’t rule out a reduction by the Chancellor in the coming days to help the economy following the pandemic.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Actually my intended destination is Jordan, so the savings are real, and sadly the taxes are  much higher than in the UK when it comes to electronics.

As crazy as it may sound, the formula works best this way, as I mentioned earlier that I am allowed a one time tax free shipment of household goods, including electronics.

Waleed N

Understood so yes, that does make sense. Good luck!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks Ray, I may yet pull this one off.

As far as Honeycomb Throttle Quadrant, Thrust master Quadrant, too late for them as they will have to be delivered to Jordan when they are released.

One thing I noticed on the monitor is it is NVIDIA G-Sync® Compatible, whereas the older one says simply G-Sync.

Hopefully not a big difference there.

Waleed N

Hi Waleed, I have no experience of G-Sync, sorry.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Get the LG ultra gear. It’s brilliant. I purchased one for £1400 from laptops direct last month. 

PS this is the one you want 

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-38gl950g-38-3840x1600-nano-ips-144hz-1ms-g-sync-hdr-widescreen-led-backlit-curved-monitor-mo-15g-lg.html

You don’t want G-Sync compatible, you only want G-sync. This is because official G-Sync one will have a variable refresh rate from 1 through 144 hz+..... 

for simming that is what you need, because sometimes our FPS drop below 30. With a g-sync compatible the variable refresh rate is limited and normally 40-120hz. So, you can see the problem here. Drop below 40fps and you’ll disengage g-sync causing stuttering. I’ve been there and got the T-shirt. 
The link I posted above is THE best widescreen g-sync gaming monitor on the market at the moment. 

@Ianrivaldosmith, 1400 GBP for a monitor that isn't even UHD? That's a ridiculous price. My 32" BenQ UHD was less than half that. What on earth makes it so expensive?

If fps drops below 30 just reduce scenery complexity. You don't need a monitor capable of 175Hz for flight sim. If you play games then there might be some justification but only if you have deep pockets. For flight sim it's more important a monitor is capable of 30Hz than 175Hz.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Ianrivaldosmith, 1400 GBP for a monitor that isn't even UHD? That's a ridiculous price. My 32" BenQ UHD was less than half that. What on earth makes it so expensive?

If fps drops below 30 just reduce scenery complexity. You don't need a monitor capable of 175Hz for flight sim. If you play games then there might be some justification but only if you have deep pockets. For flight sim it's more important a monitor is capable of 30Hz than 175Hz.

Why don’t you read the review? It answers all of your questions. I’ll post it here. 

https://www.techspot.com/review/1976-lg-38gl950g-ultragear/

Also, yes we would all love to not drop below 30fps but it can and does happen. And if you get a g-sync disconnect because it’s only a compatible monitor, you will feel it. 

And if anything, 30hz is headache inducing. The higher the better. Even for flightsim. 

@Ianrivaldosmith, well I suppose you could have pasted the relevant sections so I didn't have to read through the whole review. Having done so I remain of the opinion that this is a monitor for games that require fast response times. P3D isn't one of those. In any case there's no computer around that will deliver 60+fps at places like Heathrow with a couple of hundred Ai aircraft.

If any decent specced computer drops below 30 it's because the settings are too high. You're asking the machine to do something it's not capable of. 30 is perfectly fluid for me but I accept there are those who have problems at that refresh rate.

I'm not convinced anyone needs to spend this sort of money on a monitor for P3D but again, that's just my opinion. Ultra-wide displays compromise the vertical element. That's why 16:9 tends to be the most popular. Again, subjective.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather