Sign in to follow this  
Kronovan

FSSAVE and WX Files for Saved Flights?

I've recently created a batch file that allows me to choose a C&D saved flight from 5 options, which then gets loaded as the default when I start FSX:SE. So far I've been using the files with the FLT file extension for this, but I'm wondering if I also need to include the files with the WX and FSSAVE file extensions in this process. I'm guessing that the WX is the file that records the weather state, but I'm not sure about what the FSSAVE file is for?
As well, if I'm correct about the purpose of the WX files, do I even need to bother with them if I'm running Active Sky and always have dynamic weather being used?

Any info about the purpose of WX and FSSAVE files are for would be much appreciated.

Nevermind; after some better google-fu I found this wiki on flight files.  The files with the WX and FSSAVE extensions are optional and as I suspected the WX files save the current weather state. The FSSAVE file is / was for the Vista Game Explorer, which allowed FSX saved flights to display in the Game Gallery. VGE was discontinued with Windows 8. Too bad Dovetail didn't ditch the FSSAVE files with FSX:SE, but with Win 8 being such a bomb I suspect a majority of their initial customers were running Win 7.

Anyhow...I won't be adjusting my batch file and I'm moving my WX and FFSAVE files out of my ..\Flight Simulator X Files folder.

Edited by Kronovan

When sharing Gliding tasks (which is a race around a set of waypoint's after being launched in a glider to a particular height - which is not enough to just glide around and requires skill to complete) for flight sim you must save the exact weather state so everyone has the same thermals to use. i thought explanation might illustrate some queries above.

The files shared for these tasks are

*.cmx --> cumulus X! file that creates clouds and thermals based on. Cumulus X is a freeware addon.

*.flt  --> you can open with notepad, saves things like panel positions and sim launch option settings

*.fssave --> this one saves the action position (variables state) of the sim, eg state of aircraft, speed, height, where, engine state, what switches you have on and off etc. 

*.pln --> the planned route

*.wx --> general flight sim weather conditions

If you save all these then anyone launching this saved flight with these files  will have exactly the same conditions including weather conditions upon launch. 

If you use active sky live weather with dynamic updating then I would think the initial conditions set by WX will overwrite after your update interval.

I hope this helps.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply robs - that's good info. I've only been referring to saved flights, not saved flight plans, so the names I input when saving only results in 3 different file types; those with a FLT extension, those with a FFSAVE extension and those with a WX extension. I'm not familiar with cumulus X!, but I'm guessing if I had that addon installed I might also have a file with the same name and a CMX extension.

I'm surprised about the purpose of the  FFSAVE files, as that wiki I linked identified those as something used by Vista Game Explorer. I'm really not familiar with the fsdeveloper.com website though, so I'm not 100% sure about the reliability of that wiki. I'm leery about leaving the WX files, because a few times I've loaded one of my saved Cold & Dark flights, Active Sky Next has crashed. Typically I just switch which 1 of my Cold & Dark flights is auto-loaded at startup, to avoid issues FSX has with caching values/settings from the saved, default flight.

Edited by Kronovan

The official Microsoft ESP SDK says:

The .FSSAVE file contains information for the Windows Vista Game Explorer. The .SPB file contains the current state of a mission. If the .WX weather file is not present, the simulation will simply use default weather, if the .FSSAVE file is not present obviously the saved game will not appear in the Vista Game Explorer, -- however if the .SPB file is not present for a saved mission the simulation may well exhibit some strange behavior. In other words, the .WX and .FSSAVE files are optional for both missions and free flight, the .SPB file is required for missions.

So I think Robs has mistaken the .SPB file for the .FSSAVE one.

Visit FSXMissionsHangar.com
For Missions in FSX and P3D