Sign in to follow this  
peyote

Runway markings

I know that the NDA would prevent people from answering this question, but I wonder if MSFS provides a way to customize the runway markings. Specifically, in Canada most runway markings are not solid paint, but rather parallel stripes. Also the center lines are thicker that what I see in the official videos.

See markings in this video

Cheers to all,

Chip

From my experience, every airport is unique with their taxi-way and runway markings. You can just blow up google / bing maps and go from one airport to another airport within eye sight, and the markings will have changed.

As a result, I'm willing to bet whatever editor tools that come with the game will allow for runway/taxiway marking editing, among other things.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

I'm quite willing to bet you won't be able to customize them to that extent. On a positive note we've already had the option of alternative runway markings in FSX, available via the SDK. Think of alternate TDZ markings (some UK airports) or alternate thresholds where the runway number was in between the stripes as seen e. g. on some Greek airports. These were already there although I believe they were not used in any stock airport, but at least they were accessible to 3PD.

As pointed out above, there are international standards but then again a lot of differences from them occur irl all over the globe. Think of Northern airports, some have yellow markings instead of white. Pretty sure we won't be able to do this out of the box. Even if I wish they had included these options and more variety at least via the SDK.

Edited by badderjet
  • Like 1