Sign in to follow this  
ericrolfe

RealityXP GNS430 - incorrect response to XP zoom buttons

The reality XP GNS 430 appears to be responding incorrectly to XPlane zoom In/zoom Out commands:

"sim/GPS/g430n1_zoom_in" and 

"sim/GPS/g430n2_zoom_out"

Zoom In should reduce the range, Zoom out should increase the range. 

Easiest way to demonstrate is to put the Xplane and RealityXP 430s side by side.

Then press the zoom in (down arrow) and zoom out (up arrow) buttons on the XPLANE 430.

You will see that the up arrow zooms IN and the down arrow zooms OUT.

Note: The Reality XP 430 responds correctly to presses of its own buttons, but incorrectly to the XPlane commands:

Why it matters? Prevents proper integration with other X-plane developments (e.g. Air Manager)

Hi,

We're mapping the zoom_in command to the GNS range down button, and the zoom_out command to the GNS range up button as it is expected. However XP11 is swapping these 2 commands internally and is wrong.

It is only appearing like it is working ok with the stock GNS (in the stock Baron 58 for example) because they are swapping the purpose of the commands in the 3D cockpit manipulators:

ATTR_manip_command    button    sim/GPS/g430n1_zoom_in    Zoom Out
TRIS    534 6
ATTR_manip_command    button    sim/GPS/g430n1_zoom_out    Zoom In
TRIS    540 6

They're even using a 'Zoom Out' description while using the zoom_in command...

So which one is right?

RXP mapping the zoom_in command to the GNS range down button (the zoom in button), or XP11 mapping the zoom_in command to the GNS range up button?

One thing for sure: we're mapping the genuine range button down to the XP11 command which is named zoom_in as expected because I believe this is a bug in XP11 which needs to be changed there.

I'll submit this question though.

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

I agree. Have you reported this to x-plane? Any response?

Air Manager's 430 overlay has been configured so that the stock 430 works. I'm guessing the 530 has the same problem?

But that means that your customers who are using the Air Manager overlay are seeing the wrong behavior when they use Reality XP.'s 430.

I guess the question is, until x-plane makes a fix, is anyone benefiting from Reality XP's current (correct) implementation?

If not, would it make sense to release a temporary workaround until x-plane corrects the issue?

No answer yet but they're also a lot busy. I wouldn't change anything for now until fully acknowledged though, here is why:

Any third party plugin sending XP11 commands to control the GPS should use the appropriately named command for what it does in my opinion (g430n1_zoom_in if you're wanting to reduce the range, i.e. the Range Down button on the GNS).

If XP11 is doing the reverse with its stock GPS, the bug is there only and you might want to provide a 'setting' to reverse 3rd party plugin commands sent to XP11 in this case. This way, whenever they swap these 2 commands and make them work as expected, the end user can just uncheck the option in the 3rd party plugin.

zoom_in has a specific meaning which the RXP GNS is honoring properly and which other 3rd party plugins are expecting it to be honoring this way already.

Edited by RXP

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Recently purchased the Reality XP GNS 530W and GNS 430W V2. Installed in three aircraft with no problems. The only issue is that when installed, the range up/down buttons also give reversed responses. Zoom In should reduce the range, Zoom out should increase the range. These buttons do work properly on the Reality XP unit and the installed X Plane versions until added in a instrument panel. I've seen some prior posts to get around this, but not sure where to make a change. Thanks for any direction.

@Curtis_1

This is a good question that I haven't revisited since back then. The issue is clearly a swap of command name vs command description in XP11.

Which range down/up buttons are you talking about? An aircraft 3D cockpit button? The RXP GNS bezel buttons in the popup window?