Sign in to follow this  
threebears

Active Sky Next won't re-install

I recently had to uninstall my FSX-SE and reinstall it.  Following advice I created a separate place on the C:\ 'tree' called SteamLibrary and put FSX-SE there. That means everything, and all my add-ons (both Steam-based DCL and others) installed to SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX.  It all went perfectly, in fact works rather well, except installing the DCL content was difficult.  I got that sorted except the Active Sky Next (ASN).  It will not configure because it cannot 'find' the necessary files.

I assumed it was because FSX-SE is not installed in the 'default' location: ProgramFiles(X86) etc., etc. However, when I 'tell' ASN where FSX is located it still 'fails'.

Has anyone any idea how to get round this, please?

Andrew Gold

Exactly what is the error message you were given?  Can you provide a screen shot?  My FSX SE is installed in C:/Steam/steamapps/common/FSX-SE directory.  I now use AS2016, so don't want to touch its installation just to re-install ASN since AS applications can be very fussy.  I'm wondering if the problem is you named your folder SteamLibrary rather than simply Steam?

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

Thank you BF Bulpup.  My bad - I didn't explain properly.  C:\SteamLibrary was suggested by PMDG for the installation path to remove Windows permissions issues, especially because of Windows updates which regularly cuase trouble.  I maybe should have inserted Steam after SteamLibrary and that may be the issue.  However eveything else works like a dream, better than ever, including all the other DLC content that comes via Steam: it's just this one programme (which I can live without if I must).  I believe Steam are no longer supporting ASN anyway.  The error message is so extensive I won't post it here - I suspect that, strictly speaking, this is more a Steam issue than FSX-SE.

Andrew

Try contacting HiFi Simulations.  They made the Steam version so they may have an idea to get it working.  You haven't posted the error message, which would make assistance in this forum easier.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

Hi again BF Bullpup

As I said in my last reply, the error message is so extensive that I can't copy and paste it here.  I did a complete uninstall and reinstall with the 'full' SteamLibrary/Steam path.  FSX-SE reloaded cleanly but ASN still can't be found.  Your suggestion re: HiFi is helpful so I'll give them a go.  Thanks again

Andrew Gold

• Like 1