Sign in to follow this  
psimester

Where does VoxATC get its frequencies from?

OK, this may sound a daft question, but where does VoxATC look to get its radio frequencies?

I use Plan-G for flight planning, which is pointed to the FSX Scenery.bgl, and decided on a short VFR flight to Shoreham (EGKA). Plan-G gave me an ATIS frequency of 125.3 for Shoreham, however VoxATC told me to use 130.97. I was able to listen to ATIS on both frequencies.

125.3 is the 'old' FSX frequency, 130.97 is the current real-world frequency, so they're both 'right'. I'd like to have a single frequency that I can look up with confidence prior to my flight but I can't figure out where VoxATC has got the 130.97 frequency from.

I've used ADE to check the ATIS frequency for the airfield, but every .bgl file I can find gives only 125.3 - nowhere can I find any mention of 130.97! I've used Windows search to find all .bgl files that have Shoreham or EGKA in the name and none has a frequency of 130.97; I've even looked at the .bgl files that I've switched off.

Clearly I'm missing something, but can anyone tell me what??? I could simply use ADE to set the ATIS frequency to 130.97 so Plan-G agrees with VoxATC, but that rather skirts the issue and I could well come across the same problem on future flights.

I'm using Orbx Shoreham, Orbx England, Orbx Global, UK2000 VFR Airfields, MyTraffic.

3 minutes ago, psimester said:

OK, this may sound a daft question, but where does VoxATC look to get its radio frequencies?

The frequencies and a few other items for airports can be modified by adding a file with the name EGKA.xml to the folder:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Internal Workings\VoxATC<SIM VERSION>\apdata

Since VOXATC is a UK-based product, the developer already added files for many UK airports by default in order to keep these items somewhat current. The VOXATC file for EGKA looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> 
<Airport Airspace="ukatz">
	<ATSUTower Name="Shoreham" Frequency="123.15" />
	<ATSUTower Name="Shoreham" Frequency="125.4" />
	<ATIS Name="Shoreham" Frequency="130.975" />
</Airport>

A better approach to keeping the navigation database current is a Navigraph subscription combined with an fsaerodata subscription.

Thanks so much for the informative reply - what would this site do without you??!!

I must admit that I'd assumed VoxATC, being primarily communication software, would be pulling radio frequencies from FSX when the Indexer was run. It didn't occur to me that it would already have frequencies included. Having got to grips with .bgl files I've now discovered the joys and potential of .xml! For someone who started flightsimming with his first ZX Spectrum that's no mean feat 😄

I'm aware of Navigraph et al, but I only get to fly two or three times a month so it's really not worthwhile for me at the present time. I'm very happy to have reasonably realistic radio comms with VoxATC and a radio panel; if one or two frequencies are not current 'real-world' I can live with that. In fact, many of the paper charts I've accumulated are old enough that I can use them with FSX 🤣 I just needed to get VoxATC and Plan-G singing from the same hymnsheet.

Thank you again for your reply.