Sign in to follow this  
newtie

brakes engage on landing

Interesting. I might just not be crazy after all 😝

Anyway, I'll reinstate my backup .cfg tomorrow and keep an eye on that red button.

Thanks for all the research.

Hi Al-

I flew a short pattern at KSTS with the original aircraft.cfg reinstalled, zoomed the VC out where I could see the red emergency button while landing.

On contact, brakes went full until stopped, then released on their own. Red emergency button never moved. Also, no autobrake settings as you can see. :>)

VC view

Cheers,

The other Mark

Edited by newtie

3 hours ago, newtie said:

Hi Al-

I flew a short pattern at KSTS with the original aircraft.cfg reinstalled, zoomed the VC out where I could see the red emergency button while landing.

On contact, brakes went full until stopped, then released on their own. Red emergency button never moved. Also, no autobrake settings as you can see. :>)

VC view

Cheers,

The other Mark

Other Mark,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still trying to figure out what is happening. If you don't mind, when time permits fly another pattern at KSTS and try to LEFT click the red emergency brake knob 5 or 6 times if you can after the gear is down. You won't see anything happen since the emergency brake is off, but some code will execute with each click. If the brakes don't lock up when you touch down after doing this, or even if they do, this experiment will provide some information.

Al

Edited by ark

Hi Al-

Quick question before I get started. Where is the saved state of the Lear found, that is, the state that the aircraft was in when the sim was closed.

The only thig I could find was state.cfg found here:

C:\Users\Mark Jones\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\SimObjects\FLYSIM Learjet 35A

which appears to be engine hours only.

6 hours ago, newtie said:

Hi Al-

Quick question before I get started. Where is the saved state of the Lear found, that is, the state that the aircraft was in when the sim was closed.

The only thig I could find was state.cfg found here:

C:\Users\Mark Jones\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\SimObjects\FLYSIM Learjet 35A

which appears to be engine hours only.

Hi Mark,

Look in C:\Users\your name\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Files.

If you open a Lear flight, or maybe Previous Flight.fxml, with a text editor and search on autobrake, I think the value should be 1 like this under the Systems.0 section:

<Property Name="Autobrakes" Value="1" />

If the value is not 1, try changing it to 1 and saving the file.

I think the meaning of the autobrake values in this file are like this :

0 = RTO
1 = OFF
2 = LOW
3 = MED
4 = HIGH

Edit: I should clarify, unless you explicitly load the Previous Flight, those saved values are not used. However, if the Autobrake value is not 1, that would be interesting.

Al

Edited by ark

Hi Al-

I have some promising news on the brake problem.

I did two short flights at KSTS and KSAN, both with SimStarter disabled.

No brake lights on landing!This is with the stock aircraft.cfg  What the relationship is, if any, that exists between SS and the Lear, is yet to be determined.

The only thing I can think of is when loading the Lear via SS somehow screws something up.

The very first thing I did at the beginning of this was to load some generic aircraft and then load the Lear, as recommended by experience and also a note in the SS documentation.

I'll further this investigation tomorrow and nail it down.

The Other Mark

17 minutes ago, newtie said:

Hi Al-

I have some promising news on the brake problem.

I did two short flights at KSTS and KSAN, both with SimStarter disabled.

No brake lights on landing!This is with the stock aircraft.cfg  What the relationship is, if any, that exists between SS and the Lear, is yet to be determined.

The only thing I can think of is when loading the Lear via SS somehow screws something up.

The very first thing I did at the beginning of this was to load some generic aircraft and then load the Lear, as recommended by experience and also a note in the SS documentation.

The Other Mark

Hi Mark,

Sounds like progress! I'll be interested to hear what you learn.

Al

Edited by ark

18 hours ago, ark said:

Each LEFT mouse click on the red emergency brake knob in the Lear generates an 'Autobrake decrease' action in the sim. So if you do this 5 or 6 times before landing, that should cancel out any autobrake setting the might have resulted from some issue with the SimStarter profile or setup you are using.

Al

Edited by ark

On 8/25/2020 at 10:12 PM, newtie said:

Mark, what have you concluded?

Al

Hi Al-

This whole thing is related to using SimStarter as the Scenario Manager, that is, setting up the flight within SS and completely bypassing P3D's startup screen which can be done by simply checking a box.
It doesn't make any difference if you go through the loading of a basic default aircraft and then load the Lear cold and dark. Believe me I tried :>)

At any rate, I have not had a brake issue since.

How SS alters the settings of the Lear in this process is a mystery and shall probably remain so.

Sorry for putting you through all that, but, if someone else has a weird brake problem, just tell them to lose the SimStarter scenario manager! Everything else works as advertised in SS.

Thanks for all the help and advice. BTW, I just landed at KPDX from KSAN; no brake lights :>)

The other Mark

22 minutes ago, newtie said:

This whole thing is related to using SimStarter as the Scenario Manager, that is, setting up the flight within SS and completely bypassing P3D's startup screen which can be done by simply checking a box.

Hi Mark,

Good to hear you isolated the problem and got things working! And along the way I learned how the Lear's emergency brake system is implemented using the sim's autobrake system -- actually pretty clever I think.

Sounds like SS is setting an autobrake value some how. As I mentioned above, you could confirm this by using SS and then left clicking on the red emergency brake knob 5 times or so just before landing. My guess is you would then land without the brakes activating because the multiple 'left clicking' will cancel any autobrake setting.

Thanks for the feedback,

Al