Sign in to follow this  
Aceman2020

Phew! Full IFR approach in IMC.

2 hours ago, Aceman2020 said:

Not yet it isn't...what are you going to do if your gps craps out and there's no ATC to save your butt?...and besides there is so much more to flying than following a magenta line...VORs...NDBs "Mary had roast beef Mary barfed" etc...you haven't flown if you've never plotted a course using a sectional map...used your to E6B to calculate for wind corrction...traingulated your position using only VORs.. or landed in the fog using only your radio. I swear FSX pilots for real word training should be required reading for simmers...they should make a 2020 edition!

I got instrument ticket in 2004 without GPS and with one CDI. Nowdays many DME equipment been dismounted and retired. My home base ILS approach stripped of all market long time ago and now GPS is required instead to identify fixes. Same goes for VOR approach. This is a fact  and has no to do with magenta line flyers. DME is thing of the past.

As far as reliability goes  I had full electrical failure 3 times that is include in IMC. DME uint will go out just like GPS or anything else. G1000 has advantage as it has its own battery independent from aircraft which increase safety. I have Garmin G5 installed in my aircraft this things also has own batteries. So no matter how you look at it unless someone shoots all satellites GPS is must have item in modern cockpit.

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

10 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

I got instrument ticket in 2004 without GPS and with one CDI. Nowdays many DME equipment been dismounted and retired. My home base ILS approach stripped of all market long time ago and now GPS is required instead to identify fixes. Same goes for VOR approach. This is a fact  and has no to do with magenta line flyers. DME is thing of the past.

As far as reliability goes  I had full electrical failure 3 times that is include in IMC. DME uint will go out just like GPS or anything else. G1000 has advantage as it has its own battery independent from aircraft which increase safety. I have Garmin G5 installed in my aircraft this things also has own batteries. So no matter how you look at it unless someone shoots all satellites GPS is must have item in modern cockpit.

A must have yes...but not as much fun flying. That's why I can't wait for VR because it makes flying fun again. In fsx navigation was what made it fun...not staring at the monitor. In VR VFR flying is fun again. 😎

Edited by Aceman2020

5 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

The analog 172 (which is not in the standard version) has a standalone DME.

Sadly enough it doesn't (just like every other a/c, standard or premium). It has a standalone A/P, transponder and ADF.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 5:50 PM, Aceman2020 said:

I was finally able to do a full IFR approach in the cessna 172 just like in fsx. I wasn't sure MSFS2020 had all the (old school) navigation capabilities of fsx but rest assured it does...at least in the cessna.

GPS/NAV mode/ OBS/ NAV 1, NAV 2, VOR/ILS frequencies/ autopilot, APR, capture glide slope automatically etc...all good:)

I haven't tried NDB navigation yet.

Btw if you want to find ILS frequencies just zoom into the destination airport on the map page and you will see the ILS antenna icons at each end of the runway...if the runway has ILS.

I do miss the classic radio stack...doing the VOR/ils frequencies on the glass panel is tedious but will be better in VR.

Just one thing...how do you display DME? 

I could net get ILS to work with the analogue Cessna 172-- when I hit approach nothing happens .The VOR worked however. How did you get the analogue ILS to work? Works fine in the glass cockpit version! The new autopilot in the analogue version is not great The FSX one was easy and intuitive!