Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

A320 Questions

I am coming off of the Fslabs so I know there are a TON of things lacking in the 2020 version when compared to FSLabs.  Having said that, I am trying to get a flight going either on Vatsim or without the awful default ATC.  Can someone answer the following?

- Is there a way to pop out the MCDU or at least get a hotkey that goes directly to that so I don't have to scroll / Zoom, etc?  In P3d, i set up different views on my stick.  

- I find that going into managed and selected mode is difficult to do with the mouse and isn't very friendly.  Is there a trick? (also can you turn off the messages that says what the button is when you scroll over the hot spot?)

- I would use simbrief for everything - flight plan, PAX, fuel, weights.  Does Simbrief translate into 2020?  If not, how are people getting those to input into the sim?

- I find that hand flying is WAY too sensitive (on all planes that i have tried).  What do you all suggest for the A320?  

Thanks!

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Also, on my first flight from MSN-ORD, I noticed that the ILS didn't show on the PFD for 27R.  Is this not a feature either? 

Is there a way to turn off the default ATC?

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

On 8/25/2020 at 3:18 PM, Zimmerbz said:

I am coming off of the Fslabs so I know there are a TON of things lacking in the 2020 version when compared to FSLabs.  Having said that, I am trying to get a flight going either on Vatsim or without the awful default ATC.  Can someone answer the following?

1 hour ago, SonicRobot said:

All questions that I have! Thank you for asking.  

- Is there a way to pop out the MCDU or at least get a hotkey that goes directly to that so I don't have to scroll / Zoom, etc?  In P3d, i set up different views on my stick.  

If there is, it would be by holding the right ALT key and clicking on the instrument. this works for some panels and not others. I haven't tried it on the A320

- I find that going into managed and selected mode is difficult to do with the mouse and isn't very friendly.  Is there a trick? (also can you turn off the messages that says what the button is when you scroll over the hot spot?)

Managed mode click spot is at the top of the knob (12 o'clock position) and Selected mode is at the bottom of the knob (6 o'clock position). I agree it is easy to not get it right. The annoying tooltip will tell you if you're hovering over the right spot, though. It may also be possible to map these to buttons or keys, but I haven't tried that. Try going to Controls, Keyboard, changing the filter to all and searching for the words selected or managed.

- I would use simbrief for everything - flight plan, PAX, fuel, weights.  Does Simbrief translate into 2020?  If not, how are people getting those to input into the sim?

Yes, simbrief now has a new export format for MSFS2020 that can be opened from the flight planning screen. Just save the file somewhere like in my documents and then load that from the flight planning page. There's a Save/Load button at the bottom, and I think the shortcut is the space bar. This will get you the route and should program your cruise altitude. You can check the cruise altitude in Nav Log and you can then set your pax and fuel in the aircraft selection page. I don't think the imported flight plan from simbrief will bring the fuel and pax weights with it.

- I find that hand flying is WAY too sensitive (on all planes that i have tried).  What do you all suggest for the A320?  

Depends on your controller. The smaller the range of motion your controller has, the lower you need to make your sensitivity. For my TM HOTAS Warthog I use -10% sensitivity for roll and -50% for pitch and find that works for me. 

- Also, on my first flight from MSN-ORD, I noticed that the ILS didn't show on the PFD for 27R.  Is this not a feature either? 

I think that you need to press the LS button on the FCU (adjacent to the FD button) for annunciation of the approach even on the MFD, but I could be mistaken. You may also have to manually tune the ILS frequency at some airports - I've had this be hit or miss and haven't spent enough time to track it down.

- Is there a way to turn off the default ATC?

I disabled ATC text to speech in the General Options menu and then removed ATC from the quick menu at the top of the sim. When in sim, mouse to the top of the screen where the 'toolbar' is, click the gear and disable anything there you don't want. I disabled everything but cameras, fuel/payload and weather. Especially the vfr map eats frames even when not displayed. YMMV.

Edited by cwburnett
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

Hi cwburnettI cant answer all of your questions but I can say whether you can pop out the MCDU or not.

You can! you can pop out any of the digital displays in any of the aircraft by holding the right alt key and then clicking on the screen that you want to pop out with your mouse, this lets you put the displays on another monitor, very handy

6 minutes ago, liams said:

Hi cwburnettI cant answer all of your questions but I can say whether you can pop out the MCDU or not.

You can! you can pop out any of the digital displays in any of the aircraft by holding the right alt key and then clicking on the screen that you want to pop out with your mouse, this lets you put the displays on another monitor, very handy

Thanks for clarifying, but these actually weren't my questions, but rather my answers to the posters that I quoted 🙂 But cool to know that the MCDU is included in the instruments that can be popped out. 👍

On 8/26/2020 at 2:26 PM, Zimmerbz said:

Also, on my first flight from MSN-ORD, I noticed that the ILS didn't show on the PFD for 27R.  Is this not a feature either? 

Is there a way to turn off the default ATC?

I see the same issue. The ILS freq shows on the PFD but the pointers don't. The plane still captures the ILS and follows it tho. 

20 hours ago, UKflyer said:

I see the same issue. The ILS freq shows on the PFD but the pointers don't. The plane still captures the ILS and follows it tho. 

I flew SFO-LAX last night and the ILS popped up as expected. I was using the latest dev version of the A320NX project's mods, tho, so not sure if that's one of the many bugs they've squashed already...

Can someone show me where to download the A320 Mod?  Thanks

6 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

Can someone show me where to download the A320 Mod?  Thanks

I would really recommend that you join the discord and use the #installation-help channel, since this is a work in progress and there are different builds. That said, you can download both the stable and latest dev builds from github https://github.com/wpine215/msfs-a320neo

All the links to this and the discord are in the master thread on this forum about this project.