Sign in to follow this  
ABE

Model Airplane

Can anybody recommend a 'cheap' or 'very robust' model airplane?I have 2 grandsons I want to introduce to model airplanes (I have no experience myself either). It's very likely they, or I, might crash the airplane on the first flight. Obviously, I can't afford to keep replacing the planes continually.Appreciate any recommendation.Thanks.Abe

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

AbeBest Suggestion is to locate your nearest local hobby dealer & have a look at what they have. If you want to introduce your grandkids to RC flying without a big expense & fear of crashing, I would suggest you get them an electric "park flyer" they are made of foam, easy to maintain & repair & are rather inexpensive. The drawback to them is they are small & you need a relatively calm day to fly them. The pluses are they are small & can be flown in small fields or parks, hence the term park flyers. I'd also suggest finding your local RC club & ask for some help flying. Most clubs gladly teach people to fly for free & sharing you passion for flying with others is a great way to spend a day out.If you'd like to do some "shopping" to see whats available. go to www.towerhobbies.comAnd have a look around there. You will get some great ideas.Best of luck to you & your grandkids.Jimedited for spelling

Just wanted to add that www.hobby-lobby.com also has some good beginner electric packages. Also check out the www.diynetwork.com site for hobbies, radio control. Lots of info there for first timers, and an interesting tv show also. Good luck.Matt

Thanks gentlemen. Valuable info. I'll check the suggestions.Abe