Sign in to follow this  
Bosco19

I've reverted to zero on the Sensitivity sliders!

1 hour ago, Beagle12 said:

Hi Mike

I am using the C152X  I assume this is found in the Flight_model.cfg file ?? 

Thanks

Yes, you are correct, that is the file.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

9 hours ago, killthespam said:

Mike,

I understand.

I'm not on STEAM and I'm using the version that has all the airplanes, unfortunately many of them have aircraft config files hidden and can't adjust them.

I agree with you 100% that each joystick is different but, I'm looking at FSX, P3D and XP11 and I can notice that their calibration of flight controls is much better and easier to manage.

For me this is a serious problem when I can adjust properly my controls on other software (I have PFC Jetliner yoke and PFC throttle control with TPR Rudder) while this MSFS2020 is more like a World wide scenery simulator, not Flight simulator. And I say that because if the airplanes don't fly correct. 

Being an airline pilot when we say flight simulator we think first about how close to reality is to the airplane. Years ago primary objective was for the "simulator" to have flight characteristics as close to reality, scenery was on the second place. Actually the first "link trainers" where just a box (cockpit with gauges, no visuals). In our days we have aircraft simulators that they get as close as to the reality by 80% to 95% with astonishing visuals. 

MSFS2020 is a step forward to what a PC simulator should be but with terrible aircraft characteristics, unsatisfactory  calibration of flight controls, unoptimized software with multiple bugs, updates that brake whatever is working correct.

I'm sorry but this is very disappointing and alarming to see this kind of stuff. They need a big shakeup starting with the "decision makers and the programmers".

The whole internet in simulator community is disappointed and upset about this software and patches, with some exceptions.     

Excellent points. I agree. MSFS 2020 definitely seems to be more about the eye candy, with AC handling and flight characteristics running a distant second place. You can understand why. Is it easier to sell more software that offers grandiose air tours of every exotic place on the planet, accompanied by jaw-dropping visuals of light and weather, or one that promises the most accurate rendition ever of real aircraft operation and handling? This is a gigantic corporation trying to make a buck. It's not a labor of love. You can't fault them for that. Real pilots suffer most here. We know how far away from realism the aircraft handling is. But then again, we should be the ones who also understand that no sim replicates the actual experience. That would require a level of technology that is very far into the future - if even possible at all. Again, I argue that what we need to look for and accept is a satisfying experience - whatever that means to you. This evening I fired up an Xcub and did an exploratory early-morning sightseeing tour around the area I grew up in - Detroit, Michigan, during the heyday of it's fame as the auto production capital of the world. A lot has changed in the last 60 years or so, but I was still able to fly around and recognize familiar features and places. The biggest surprise was when I flew past what looked like a couple of old excursion steamers that I had traveled up and down the Detroit river on in my childhood (known as the Bob Lo Boats). A couple of them still exist, but are no longer seaworthy, and are being privately restored, one with the intention of moving to New York and serving once more as an excursion vessel. I really did a double take when I saw these white hulks down below. I thought, "no...it can't be!." I circled around and lost altitude for a 500' fly-by, and sure enough, it was them! Their rendition was pretty simplified but there was no mistaking what they were. Sometimes the Autogen gives you a bunch of Blah, and sometimes the replication of what's really there stuns you! And now that I have learned where to set those sliders, I was also able to enjoy a couple of landings at two of the area airports without the AC twitching around like a living creature. Was the handling an exact replica of the Cubs I have flown? Surely not! Still, I came away having been very entertained by my nostalgic touring experience, and also getting a taste of what I remembered as an active pilot. Pretty good stuff overall, even with all the flaws. I live in hope of more realistic AC behavior, but even if that never happens the way I would like, this is some pretty amazing software. Maybe the problem for many is that they are expecting something that this software ISN'T. Perhaps the biggest mistake MS made was to call it a simulation. I think it represents something in between entertainment and simulation, and on that basis is never going to satisfy everyone. As a famous person once said - "It is what it is."

• Like 1

Intel i7-11700K@3.60 GHZ. 32 GB RTX 4070 Ti OC

12 hours ago, Mike S KPDX said:

I have decided to skip the sensitivity settings and leave them at default.  Now, I simply go into the 'aircraft.cfg' file and adjust the rudder, alerion and/or elevator control_effectiveness number which is defaulted to '1', I change theses to various values for different aircraft, usually between .6 and .8 - smooth as silk in all axies.

The problem is after each patch, these values reset to defaut...

Bosco19 - Bob-Lo  boats?  Maybe you are of a similar vintage as me.  I made a few trips on those steamers. The most fun for me was below deck studying the big triple expansion steam engine.  A Detroiter, Joe's hobby shop, Strathmoor model club. An RC pioneer.  Just a kid. Long ago.

Yeah, the scenery is marvelous.  The flight modelling is a train wreck.  

Ron

Ron Marks

CP ASMEL CFI A&P

LOL! Yes, lived in the area until I got out of high school, then moved off to Southern Cal for 20 years and became a surfer! (before they snagged me for the Viet Nam war). BTW, I thought the modeling of the Detroit area was excellent - as good, if not better than Manhattan, perhaps because the density was a little lower. Even the old, abandoned factories and mills are there. The classic early Detroit skyscraper, the Penobscot Building was rendered very accurately. Some years back a large freeway interchange wiped out my old neighborhood at the foot of the Ambassador Bridge (modeled pretty well in the software) and for the first time I was able to fly over it and see what they did. Looks like Detroit was an area they spent some extra time on in the sim. I recommend flying this area for anyone who wants to explore an interesting combination of scenic land and water effects.

Intel i7-11700K@3.60 GHZ. 32 GB RTX 4070 Ti OC