Sign in to follow this  
mrrm1st

Ryzen 5900x or 5950x

The time has come to retire my 4790k. I have decided to switch to AMD and the Zen 3 looks pretty impressive. In terms of processor work out, MSFS2020 is going to be the big test for my new rig. I know they aren’t out yet so haven’t been tested, but does anyone have any thoughts between a 5950x vs 5900x for msfs20?

Based on the 3000 series it looks like the 3950x has lots of cores sat around doing nothing while others are maxed out in msfs20, so the extra £250 or so for a 5950x over a 5900x could be a waste of money for flight simming. I do want to future proof though, so if Asobo are likely to develop the sim to be spread more evenly over cores that may temp me to spend the cash. 

I’m going to keep my 2070 super, but am planning on an Asus x570-f motherboard with 32gb 3600mhz ram. 

Any thoughts on CPUs welcome. 

We'll have to wait and see the independent test results but right now I don't think you'd need to go for the 5950X for flight simming. If I was you I'd get the 5900X and save the difference to put towards upgrading the GPU at some point.

• Like 1

Who knows -- there are no independent tests for either CPU and all you will get now is unsubstantiated opinion. Release date is supposed to be 11/5.

• Upvote 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

True. If it's like Zen 2 then for just pure gaming there was zero point getting the 3950X over the 3900X. At best the 3950X gave you pretty much exactly the same results in games as the 3900X while in some games it did worse than the 3900X. I wouldn't be totally surprised if it went the same way with Zen 3 but we'll find out soon enough. 

Thanks everyone. It sounds like there is little expected return in flightsim for the extra £250. I don’t use the pc much other than gaming, so saving some cash on the cpu and putting it toward something else sounds like the best plan. 

• Upvote 1