Sign in to follow this  
hadi

My wishlist and suggestions as a blind pilot using LNM

Hi there

I am a blind pilot, i have no vision at all. I use voice activated co-pilot (multi crew experience) to fly my aircraft.

I just found LNM and found out that it has a web server and application, The web application is very accessible to my screen reader and i am getting lots of great help from LNM by loading a flight plan and  monitoring the web app.

I had some suggestions, That if you found possible to do, they can help me to work with the app much more faster in flight.

IS it possible that you add the altitude info for the waypoint, in the  "next waypoint" section in the aircraft progress page? possibly an option to turn on so it wouldn't annoy other users? I use keyboard only to navigate, i have to go back to the flight plan page and  arrow down till i find the right waypoint and then go right to find the altitude for that waypoint each time i want to check this info.

My second suggestion is, an option to make a beep/ding noise when passing over a waypoint.

I also had a weird issue with the app itself,  not the web server, when i open the context menu on a leg or a procedure and use the keyboard to navigate up and down, my screen reader can read the menu items. when i close the context menu and re open it again, I can't seem to be able to read anything. I don't know if the keyboard navigation focus gets broken or it is an accessibility isssue witih QT and my screen reader.

Thank you so much for this software, IT is quite powerful and i am using it to perform approaches and procedures that i can't do normally.

Hi,

adding the altitude for the next waypoint is doable but I'd add this as default and not as an option. There are still the more/less button in the progress window to reduce details.
Keep in mind that the altitude for climb and descent is based on average climb and descent rates and will be inaccurate at certain points.

The beep noise is a bigger thing. Will do but it will take some time. I can add this to a smaller release after the stable 2.6.

About the context menu: All items in the map context menu are disabled if I activate the map by pressing F2. Once I move the mouse they are activated again. This is a bug. Will fix for the next release.

Alex

• Like 1

Thank you very much Alex!

I had a question, Can LNM suggest transitions, after a star is added to the flight plan? or it has to be done manually.

Sorry, no. You have to select transitions manually. There is not much checking for invalid procedure combinations. Means that you can create zig-zag approach by using the wrong STAR/approach combination, for example.

Alex

• Like 1

Hi alex

How can i make the map window completely disappear from the app, is it possible to close it completely?

On 10/16/2020 at 7:35 PM, albar965 said:

Sorry, no. You have to select transitions manually. There is not much checking for invalid procedure combinations. Means that you can create zig-zag approach by using the wrong STAR/approach combination, for example.

Alex

Thanks for your answers,

Is there a way for me to find out if a star leads my aircraft onto an ILS intercept course or it would require a transition, by reading the flight plan table?

For example, when i add a transition to one of my flight plans, there's a waypoint that has (FACF) in front of it, it is 10NM in distance,  and in the restrictions column it says GS 7,400, does this mean that i can expect my aircraft to receive glideslope info at this section of the flight?

5 hours ago, hadi said:

Is there a way for me to find out if a star leads my aircraft onto an ILS intercept course or it would require a transition, by reading the flight plan table?

You need an ILS approach. Some STARs lead you directly to the IAF of an approach and some to the IAF of the transition.

6 hours ago, hadi said:

does this mean that i can expect my aircraft to receive glideslope info at this section of the flight?

Yes. But this also depends if this is an "at" or an "at or above" restriction. It can be the GS altitude or the GS intercept altitude.

Alex

• Like 1

Alex, Thank you so much for adding the altitude information in the aircraft progress and the leg type as well not sure if it used to be there or not! This is super helpful for me.

I still have the context menu problem. Can you try this as well?

-Click on one of the flight plan legs to activate it, then  press the application key of your keyboard to bring context menu up

-Use keyboard arrow keys to go up and down, this works for me so far

-press escape to close the context menu.

-Do the same process, this second time, can you still  use the arrow keys to select the menu items?

I can't, I am not sure if this is a screen reader issue or not though.

The interesting thing is, after this stops working for me, If i go to the list of approaches for example and bring the context menu again, IT works for that window, then the second time it stops working for that as well!

You're welcome. Adding the altitude was no biggie.

I just tried the menu issue on my Window flying computer (developing on Linux) and cannot reproduce it, sorry. This might be an issue with the Qt library I'm using for the user interface. I'll try to user a newer version with the next update.

Alex

• Like 1

Hi there alex

Does LNM suggest airspeed if i have an aircraft performance loaded?

e.g. trying to calculate what V/S to descend if i like to be at fl110 in 40m.

43 minutes ago, hadi said:

Does LNM suggest airspeed if i have an aircraft performance loaded?

e.g. trying to calculate what V/S to descend if i like to be at fl110 in 40m.

No. It just shows what you entered or collected in the profile. Have a look at the "Vertical Path Dev." when descending. This might help.

Alex

• Like 1

Hi there Alex

I had a random question again,

Since lnm is able to read the fs airport data files, Is there some sort of trick i could do so that lnm could show me the nearest gates to a runway?

4 hours ago, hadi said:

Since lnm is able to read the fs airport data files, Is there some sort of trick i could do so that lnm could show me the nearest gates to a runway?

Sorry, no. There are already requests for a gate-finder but I have no idea when I can add this.

Alex

• Like 1

Could Hadi, and or orinks write to me privately? I'd like to ship them the stats on my pc and ask why I  can't get fs 2020 to launch. I can be reached at:

kolesar16417@roadrunner.com

Ben from MCE informed me that it isn't my pc and adviced me to write to the both of you to see why I can't get FS 2020 to fire up for me.

Ron who'd like to get back in the air soon.