Sign in to follow this  
pgonta

A320 Autopilot Malfunction during final approach

A320 Autopilot Malfunction during final approach

This problem is driving me crazy as I have spent many hours looking for a fix with no solution.

Ok. I’m on the final approach everything is going great, Airspeed is between 180 and 200 knots, localizer is “ON” with green “LOC” lit up in the PFD. I’m at the proper elevation according to the ILS landing charts of various airports. (I’m trying this at different airports). Autopilot is ON Autothrottle is ON, Radio Frequency is correct for ILS landing runway, the green “G/S” is lit on PFD, the pink diamonds on the PFD are lining up in the middle for Localizer and Glidescope, A320 is flying nice and steady. There are no winds, weather clear, have permission to land. Also AI is OFF. Everything is just so nicely set up. THEN SUDDENLY THE A320 LIKE WITH A MIND OF ITS OWN STARTS TO INCREASE ALTITUDE QUICKLY WITH ENGINES REVVING UP. I CHECK THE VS INDICATOR ITS AT +6000 FT/MIN. I checked it several times before this happened and VS set to -1000 Ft/Min, a nice gentle descend.  The A320 was working perfectly yesterday, Oct 24 2020, and many times before that for a perfect landing with no effort. I have been flying the A320 because the 747 seems too buggy. Now the A320 seems buggy too. I also tried disconnecting my CH Throttle quadrant and just using the CH Product Yoke. Disconnected the Saitek Radio and Instrument Panel. Uninstalled SpadNext. Tried so many things. Please Help. Thanks.

I tried different speeds, and this speed worked for me every time before. As I put the flaps down I get speed down to 160 knots. But thanks for replying 

Are you in Approach Mode on the Perf page?  Are you in managed or selected speed?

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

I’m not sure what to look for in the Perf Page of FMC. Will have a look. Speed is “selected” and tried with Autothrottle ON and OFF. Tried restarting MSFS and restarting PC. Seems like a bug is persistent.

Make sure you activate the approach in the perf page.  It will be on the lower left. Ideally I like to be in selected speed (180) until about the OM and then I drop the gear and get to my configured flaps.   From there go to managed speed for the last portion of the approach until you retard the thrust lever.

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

3 hours ago, Zimmerbz said:

Make sure you activate the approach in the perf page.  It will be on the lower left. Ideally I like to be in selected speed (180) until about the OM and then I drop the gear and get to my configured flaps.   From there go to managed speed for the last portion of the approach until you retard the thrust lever.

It worked thanks, but not exactly sure that I really did the right inputs. I put  “180 “ for selected on “DES” page and 160 for “VAPP”. Is this what you mean by “activate the approach”

9 hours ago, pgonta said:

It worked thanks, but not exactly sure that I really did the right inputs. I put  “180 “ for selected on “DES” page and 160 for “VAPP”. Is this what you mean by “activate the approach”

The Airbus has a completely different methodology and terminology than Boeing or most other traditional planes.  I'd suggest looking at some tutorials that go into detail as to the differences between selected vs. managed and how to activate approach mode.  There are a lot of good videos on youtube that explains everything. 

14 hours ago, Zimmerbz said:

The Airbus has a completely different methodology and terminology than Boeing or most other traditional planes.  I'd suggest looking at some tutorials that go into detail as to the differences between selected vs. managed and how to activate approach mode.  There are a lot of good videos on youtube that explains everything. 

I did manage to “activate approach mode “ in MCDU when the option appeared then clicked again to confirm. However my original problem of the aircraft rising in altitude quickly VS 4000 ft/min persisted. I think something got corrupted or some strange conditions occurred. I think the only solution is to uninstall/reinstall MSFS on the Microsoft Game Pass for PC.

1 hour ago, pgonta said:

I did manage to “activate approach mode “ in MCDU when the option appeared then clicked again to confirm. However my original problem of the aircraft rising in altitude quickly VS 4000 ft/min persisted. I think something got corrupted or some strange conditions occurred. I think the only solution is to uninstall/reinstall MSFS on the Microsoft Game Pass for PC.

You should never be really activating appr mode in the fmc. It will activate automatically if you have a flight plan setup.

Check out the casual guide below for help on the 320 neo. Its specifically tailored to folks who struggle with the plane.

A320 casual guide

Edited by Armchair Pilot
Link inclusion

6 hours ago, Armchair Pilot said:

You should never be really activating appr mode in the fmc. It will activate automatically if you have a flight plan setup.

Check out the casual guide below for help on the 320 neo. Its specifically tailored to folks who struggle with the plane.

A320 casual guide

Thanks for the guide, but I was going on someone else’s advice to activate approach in the fmc.

1 hour ago, pgonta said:

Thanks for the guide, but I was going on someone else’s advice to activate approach in the fmc.

I doubt you will need to uninstall and reinstall.  I don't think it is a bug.  Are you using the A320 Mod or are you flying default?

As for activating in the MCDU (FMC is Boeing) it should automatically activate as you cross DECEL in managed mode (not sure if that is simulated in MSFS but in real life it should automatically in managed mode).  If you get ATC restrictions for a certain speed or have to fly a different heading and go into selected mode, it is my understanding that you will need to automatically select it in the MCDU.  I've heard from A320 pilots that what they like to do when flying a Star, for example, is fly with selected speed and manually activate the approach.  That way, if they get vectored or need to fly off course close to the airport, approach mode will already be activated.  What I like to do is usually have my speed at 180 and in config 2 for landing at the OM.  After crossing the OM or just after 2500, I select managed speed and drop the gear.  Managed speed should get me to VREF since i am in approach mode.  Not saying there is a right or wrong way to do things, that is just what i have seen / learned over time.  I thought maybe you were in selected modes and didn't activate the approach.  

The other thing it might be is somehow TOGA was activated.  What detent where you in on the thrust lever? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

I doubt you will need to uninstall and reinstall.  I don't think it is a bug.  Are you using the A320 Mod or are you flying default?

As for activating in the MCDU (FMC is Boeing) it should automatically activate as you cross DECEL in managed mode (not sure if that is simulated in MSFS but in real life it should automatically in managed mode). 

Bingo

I already started the reinstall, because I have tried so many things spending hours and hours with no fix. It's frustrating when you see the vertical speed needle on the PFD suddenly start going way up and within seconds I am 1000 ft above the glide scope, every time. What gets me the most is on Oct 24 and before, I could land easily smoothly without much effort, and not even paying too much attention or being a little sloppy. It would still land without this crazy sudden climb. Bug or no bug I wish I could get this fixed. 

A320 is default. 

No restrictions from ATC

Yes it feels like it's going in TOGA mode!

I will let you know how I made out, and would like to thank everyone here for their input so far, as its much appreciated. 

Edited by pgonta