Sign in to follow this  
Vegas-Rob

Question about g-sync

Hi folks. So, I have a 32" Asus Predator monitor with g-sync. Running MSFS it looks great.

However, I really want a bigger viewing area and don't want bezels in between multiple monitors.

I have a good 50" 4K monitor but it does not have g-sync.

Do you think I would suffer to give up g-sync? Does everyone use g-sync or freesync or do some of you not use either.

Help with understanding what my sensible options are would be greatly appreciated.

I have the machine to support 4K (Intel i9-10900K, ASUS TUF 3090 OC24, ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII WiFi motherboard, 32GB of 3600 RAM, and all solid state drives).

Just realized my 50" does not have display port (only HDMI). However, still interested in knowing if using a non-gsync monitor is a bad idea.

8 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

G-sync isn’t restricted by port type, works with HDMI or DisplayPort.

You need to know the VRR range of the monitor and if your compromised graphics settings and locations you fly can sustain the FPS in that VRR range.

If your non-Gsync monitor of choice can run at 30Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, etc. then you should be fine locking to Vsync to ensure timeframe consistency.

This post probably better suited for hardware forum not MSFS forum.

Cheers, Rob.

Wait...I have a similar setup to the OP. I thought you want to disable V-Sync and the whole purpose of G-Sync is that it doesn’t need to lock and use specific refresh rates like 30 or 60Hz.

Am I missing something?

Edited by neil0311

1 hour ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Yes, I didn't suggest that? ... I said ... "If your non-Gsync monitor of choice ... you should be fine locking to Vsync".

You can enable G-Sync and Vsync ... they should work together and will likely reduce CPU/GPU loads ... G-Sync will prevent screen-tearing below Vsync threshold.

Cheers, Rob.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I somehow missed the “non” in the sentence.