Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Flaps extention effects on TBM930 pitch?

I ask this question because the TBM930 goes nose up initally and quite prominently, whereas it seems most all other planes go more nose down immediately, at least in my simming experience.   Is this 'normal' perhaps for this particular plane?  From an FAA document:

1. Flap extension has a definite effect on the airplane’s pitch behavior. The increased camber from flap deflection produces lift primarily on the rear portion of the wing, producing a nose-down force. This pitch behavior varies on different airplane designs. In general, though:

• Flap deflection of up to 15° primarily produces lift with minimal drag. The airplane has a tendency to balloon up with initial flap deflection because of the lift increase. The nose down pitching moment, however, tends to offset the balloon.

• Flap deflection beyond 15° produces a large increase in drag. In high-wing airplanes, a significant nose up pitching moment can occur because the resulting downwash increases the airflow over the horizontal tail.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

56 minutes ago, Noel said:

I ask this question because the TBM930 goes nose up initally and quite prominently, whereas it seems most all other planes go more nose down immediately, at least in my simming experience.   Is this 'normal' perhaps for this particular plane?  From an FAA document:

1. Flap extension has a definite effect on the airplane’s pitch behavior. The increased camber from flap deflection produces lift primarily on the rear portion of the wing, producing a nose-down force. This pitch behavior varies on different airplane designs. In general, though:

• Flap deflection of up to 15° primarily produces lift with minimal drag. The airplane has a tendency to balloon up with initial flap deflection because of the lift increase. The nose down pitching moment, however, tends to offset the balloon.

• Flap deflection beyond 15° produces a large increase in drag. In high-wing airplanes, a significant nose up pitching moment can occur because the resulting downwash increases the airflow over the horizontal tail.

Generally in most GA planes (mostly high wing)  I have flown,  if you hold the controls steady and add flap, you get an initial tendency to nose up accompanied by washing off some speed. if you then adjust the controls/attitude to get back your original previous speed you finish up slightly nose down (for the same airspeed) compared to before you added flap. 

The Cessna's in game behave that way as well. Trim for hands off straight and level and progressively add flap and the nose comes up and the airspeed washes off rapidly unless you adjust attitude/power .

In a real Cessna, it actually becomes a habit to nose down a touch and add some down trim every time you add flap on final to keep your airspeed constant.

No idea about the TBM though never flown one in real life. In fact the only low wing aircraft I have flown regularly were Piper Warriors which are not in the same class at all as the TBM.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

I flown airplanes  both airplanes that  pitch up  and pitch down due to flap extension. I don't think it has to do with high or low wing design, but rather shift of center of pressure. Also what kind of flaps fowler, slotted, plain, split and etc may come in play as well.

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI