Sign in to follow this  
Mikeingreen

I am confused about installation files.

I may have stumbled upon why sometimes updates go way beyond what they are supposed to be in size. You know the one about the blind dog finds the occasional crumb? I installed MSFS to a separate SSD, and it installed to "D:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-3014578816-1029039811-2166754126-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe". Update 5 (I think) I had the 23.6gb update which was way over what it should have been. I noticed this last update was pointing to a C:/Users directory so I took a look and sure enough it looks like there was some files there in a directory structure like the one on my D drive. Most of the directories have very little in them EXCEPT the "Local Cache" which has the same 123GB as the "Local Cache" directory on my D drive. I have installed MSFS 3 times now and pointed to the separate drive all 3 times. 1st was the GamePass install. Then was when I purchased the Premium Deluxe version from Microsoft. This last time was when I changed my D from a 300GB Raptor to the SSD. I am positive I pointed to the D drive on all 3 installs. What should I do about what is under the C:/Users path? I see no sense in wasting 123GB on my C drive

[update]

I just tried renaming the C drive directory and after MSFS would not start, so it is using the C files. I also noted that all the files in my Community folder were also in the C Packages path. I put a file in the D path to check and after starting up MSFS it was copied to the C path also. I am beginning to think it was a mistake to even try to install to a separate drive. Maybe going back to a STOCK install path would be best but I have no idea how to go about it. I know whats already installed is almost impossible to get rid of short of just formatting the disc. That is not something I am interested in doing at this time.

[update2]

After checking the UserCfg file it shows install patch of C:\Users\mikef\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe, so it looks like I am using what is installed on C drive. To check this I tried renaming the WpSystem folder on the D drive but it would not let me do that. Short of just removing the drive to test it I submitted a Zendesk and will see what they have to say. I absolutely hate how Windows handles Microsoft games. It is why I went back to using my xBox console for playing Forza Motorsport and Horizon. You can't really control where they install to and they are then impossible to get rid of.

Edited by Mikeingreen
Update

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

Look very carefully (in windows file explorer) at the folder icons on your C drive, starting with the "Packages" folder. Do any of them have a little white square with an arrow pointing up and to the right in the lower left of the folder icon?

Those are shortcuts or symlinks to the actual location of the folder and data contained in that folder. If you right click the folder on the C drive and select properties, it will show you the target location in the "Shortcut" tab. My guess is that the folders on your C drive (at least the "Community" and "Official" folders) are pointing to the folders on your D drive. Because of this, any time you put something in the folders on your D drive (such as in the Community folder), said something will also be shown in the folder on your C drive. But it is not really on your C drive. It just appears that way.

If I am right (and I'm pretty sure I am) you can install addons to your community folder in either the C drive or the D drive. It does not matter. The actual data will be written to your D drive.

I do not have this issue, as I am using the Steam version. However, I do know how folder shortcuts or symlinks in Windows work.

Hope that helps,

...jim

• Like 1

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

The folders were not shortcuts it was just duplicated. I got no help from Zendesk, not that I expected any. Just a copy and paste of how to Install to different drive and how to Move the installation. I finally just went to Apps and Moved MSFS to C drive. After making sure it was working as expected I just formatted the D drive to get rid of MSFS there, then put LittleNavMap back on it and created a folder for the rolling cache. I will say the game boots much faster now but am not sure if that is because it is on an M.2 drive vs an SSD, or because it is not having to check one drive against the other now. I haven't done a flight yet as I am still "working" but thigs look like they will be fine.

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

1 hour ago, Mikeingreen said:

The folders were not shortcuts it was just duplicated.

Actually, I agree with Jim... I really looks like real live folders on C, but if you check the properties of the parent folder, you will find the size is close to zero.  Either way, you now have it all on the C drive, and as long as you have the space, that may well be the better option for you 🙂

Bert

You both are half right. All the folders should "0" except "Local Cache". It showed the same 123gb as the folder on D. But all water under the bridge now as I got it sorted. This is what comes by being woken up at 2AM due to neuropothy in my foot and I couldn't sleep so I played around in the files and posted and read on Avsim. Then I had to do a 120 mile round trip to pickup my new phone. Now back home so maybe will get a flight in finally (if I would stop browsing at Avsim).

• Like 1

Finally got to do a flight tonight. 686 nm from LTBA to LLJR, in the TBM. Flight went off without a hickup at all. AP was working like a champ with the latest G3000 mod and the PID hack from a few pages back. Everything was going perfect right until I was coming out of the Final Turn,,,,,,,, and I ran out of fuel. The guy on the Microsoft forum that is claiming that all the aircraft glide to far has never been in gear down, full flaps, in the TBM at 85kts and only 300ft above the runway and 1 mile out. Did not end well.