Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

San Juan's GotGravel

San Juan's GotGravel

This flight is designed for STOL aircraft as it features many takeoff and landings at short airstrips.   Our tour starts at Skagit Regional (KBVS) and then on to Anacortes (74S) where the real fun begins.  Departing Anacortes we head out to the San Juan Islands where we will take off and land 25 more times before finishing at East Sound (KORS) on Orcas Island.

Upon completion of this tour, Successful pilots will have an additional 26 landings in their flight log.  Fully Successful pilots will have the 26 landings in the correct flightplan sequence.

FlightPlan Here

Required freeware scenery addon that contains the many additional San Juan bush strips.

San Juan Islands, Washington

The route is 103 miles in length.  I will fly the GotGravel Savage Carbon Cub in Orange.

55hqaX4.jpg

Highly Recommended:   Savage Carbon - STOL Realism Mod

Recommend Sim Departure time of 1:00PM local so that we can experience the sunset as we finish (4:00pm).

Date and time: Wednesday Dec 9, 2020. 1900 UTC

Voice Communication: RTWR Teamspeak

Edited by jt_williams
Fix Date
  • Like 2

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

This will be great fun, Jeff.

Can't match the eye-catching Orange. But will be delighted to take the Red one. Here, at Ernie's Café at Friday Harbor (KFHR).

Ernies_Friday_Harbor.jpg?dl=1

More important, on the human side, let's salute the owners of Ernie's Café, Christine and Patrick. They were famous for their ramen and bulgogi, burgers and sandwiches. And it sounds as they have a wonderful set of friends, neighbors and regular customers. Sadly, they had to shut their doors just now, on Friday afternoon, December 4, 2020.

We have worked hard this year, harder than ever before, and we simply aren’t making the ends meet. We aren’t alone and this truth will be more evident as the pandemic continues and other small businesses close. I see silver linings for ourselves and others. Forced transitions are rough but sometimes result in being on a path never before imagined. ...

-----
On a technical MFS note. Let me recommend care in adding (or linking) the San Juan Islands scenery to the Community folder. Having this active may lead to your not having access to the MFS Content Manager. (I and others have had this problem.) Now this is not prohibitive. Even if you have the problem, easy to work around: Activate it. Use it. De-activate it.

The author recommends the freeware Stuart Island Airpark (7WA5) by Deepfield as well as the freeware Orcas Island (KORS) by Aircake1. Concur.

• Like 1

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

NOTAM. Note the hotfix to 11.1.7 that is out on Tuesday, December 8, 2020. See the AVSIM forum for details concerning successful downloads. Quickly accomplished -- once you get the download to work. (Given the opacity of the download process, you might give yourself several minutes to get this done before Wednesday's flight.)

• Like 1

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

On a more important note: I'm flying the 'Old Yaller' Savage Carbon Cub.

I thank you.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

32 minutes ago, MM said:

NOTAM. Note the hotfix to 11.1.7 that is out on Tuesday, December 8, 2020. See the AVSIM forum for details concerning successful downloads. Quickly accomplished -- once you get the download to work. (Given the opacity of the download process, you might give yourself several minutes to get this done before Wednesday's flight.)

Just got the update, and the Carenado C182 and M20 are no longer causing CTDs 🙂

Bert

Addition to the NOTAM on the 11.1.7 update. A cautionary note. Don't know for sure, but you might well want to disable the San Juan Islands scenery before you do the update. For some people, the update hangs up due to addons in the Community folder – and this scenery can be problematic for MFS. To be safe, you might want to temporarily disable all your freeware from the Community folder during the installation. (This disabling is relatively easily done if you are using the Addon Linker.)

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

43 minutes ago, MM said:

Don't know for sure, but you might well want to disable the San Juan Islands scenery before you do the update.

Just did the latest update... no issues.

However, your previous warning was correct... The Marketplace does not open with these sceneries enabled..

Bert