Sign in to follow this  
Poppapete

New PCIe Gen 4.0 NVMe Drives

SSD NVMe dilemma

I am currently using a Samsung 970 pro 1 TB and am running out of space. I could just buy another drive and add a secondary 😧 drive but I want all my MSFS 2020 “stuff” on one drive so I will go for a new 2TB drive. I can go PCIe Gen 4.0 as I have an AMD X570 MB.  There are 3 just released choices with 2TB options.

1.       Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus with the new Phison E18 controller

2.       Western Digital SN850

3.       Samsung 980 Pro

I have read all the current reviews and cannot seems to find which is best for MSFS which probably means it won’t matter which one, but I would like to hear what other simmers think.

My real dilemma is implementation.

Do I:

1.       Do a complete reinstall of windows and all programs OR

2.       Use EaseUS or Acronis and just clone the old 1TB drive

It is a dedicated computer for MSFS so it does not have a great deal of other apps installed.

Edited by Poppapete
spelling

Personally I'd go with the Samsung but all 3 have similar performance and MSFS (and FSX/P3D) doesn't overly tax the storage subsystem.

As for Q2, again, personally I'd just copy the partition across and expand it using mini Tool Partition Wizard but I'm more gung ho with that sort of thing compared to most.

Is there a reason you're not keeping the 1Tb for Windows and then using the new 2Tb for MSFS (and other games)? Broadly speaking that's my setup and it's worked well over the years (1 small for OS and misc progs - 1 big for main programs (read... games)).

Hope this helps,

Ian

• Like 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

19 hours ago, iwebber said:

Personally I'd go with the Samsung but all 3 have similar performance and MSFS (and FSX/P3D) doesn't overly tax the storage subsystem.

As for Q2, again, personally I'd just copy the partition across and expand it using mini Tool Partition Wizard but I'm more gung ho with that sort of thing compared to most.

Is there a reason you're not keeping the 1Tb for Windows and then using the new 2Tb for MSFS (and other games)? Broadly speaking that's my setup and it's worked well over the years (1 small for OS and misc progs - 1 big for main programs (read... games)).

Hope this helps,

Ian

Ok that is a good idea (keep the 1TB for the OS). So do I move MSFS from the 1TB to the 2TB or do a fresh install on to D: after deleting it on C:?