Sign in to follow this  
737Andi

VFR and ATC question

Hi,

I have a question regarding airspaces and ATC (especially in Germany) when doing a VFR flight.

Lets assume I'm flying from uncontrolled Echo airspace into controlled Charlie Airspace near an airport.
Which frequency do I need to contact first when flying into the Charlie Airspace (red arrow)?

The frequency of the tower of the airport who is defintely controlling the red Delta area of the airport or the frequency of the approach/departure of the airport?

vfr.jpg

Thank you!

Best regards Andi

Hi Andi, is this assuming you want to go above 2500 feet MSL? Below that altitude you wont need to contact anybody until you reach the red area controlled by Koln/Bonn CTR @ 124.980

IRL, you have a wonderful flight information center in Germany which would provide you with the correct frequency. Generally, you should contact APP sectors if above the free circulation altitude (which may vary), and before entering CTRs at any altitude since the controlled airspace in this case begins at ground level.

2 hours ago, peroni said:

Hi Andi, is this assuming you want to go above 2500 feet MSL? Below that altitude you wont need to contact anybody until you reach the red area controlled by Koln/Bonn CTR @ 124.980

Sorry..I should have mentioned that. I would like to enter the sector above 2500 feet so that I need to contact the ATC for the charlie airspace.

Edited by 737Andi

2 hours ago, IRLATC said:

IRL, you have a wonderful flight information center in Germany which would provide you with the correct frequency. Generally, you should contact APP sectors if above the free circulation altitude (which may vary), and before entering CTRs at any altitude since the controlled airspace in this case begins at ground level.

So its definitely the approach (in this case cologne bonn approach) of the nearby airport, which needs to be initially contacted at that height (>2500ft) and position and not the tower on 124,98, correct?  

Yes, to enter class C airspace (and A, B and D) you need ATC clearance. You should stay at 2500 or below (in this case) and contact the unit responsible for the  airspace you are going to enter and request ATC clearance. In case you do not do so, a safety incident called airspace infringement occurs. In real life, there is an information center in Langen operated by FDS (the main German air navigation service provider) which you may contact at any time to receive aeronautical information. You would tell them about your intentions, and they would coordinate with ATC and provide the right frequency. Approach and enroute units may have more than one sector (this varies during the day according to demand) and it is not always clear which is the frequency that should be used. If you are going to enter a CTR, then TWR LCL frequency is the usual one to go.