Sign in to follow this  
mikegrr

Help with camera definitions. Has it changed?

I thought that you could save a camera position with the combo ctrl-alt-x, (some number on the above the letters),  and recall the position with alt-x.  Evidently some (all?) planes come with camera definitions. Can you over-ride the views in the camera.cfg file? What is the point of the ctrl-alt-x if it is not effective because of the camera definitions. It's very difficult to edit the camera.cfg file and get it just so. I also mapped the number keypad to the number I choose in the ctrl-alt-x combo. I tried deleting the camer.cfg file and I got a view without a cockpit. Cool, but I restored the file to the original.  This is in the DA40.

Can someone explain how it works and how it's supposed to work? I would like to make my own views.

The cockpit view has ten (10) Custom views slots according to the MSFS docs:

• At any time, you can save the current camera position to a Custom view slot, using “Save custom camera [0, 1, 2…]” (by default, left ctrl + left alt + [1, 2, 3…])
  • You can then reload this custom view using “Load custom camera [0, 1, 2…]” (by default, left alt + [1, 2, 3…])

As far as I know, you can only use the top row number keys. The number keypad keys are treated as different and do not work for cameras.

This is completely different to XPlane and confuses a lot of people, including me on the first few days of using the sim. :biggrin:

As a side note, ANY aircraft should be able to be remaped as you stated above, but only with the top row number keys.

Ctrl plus a number key shows various control panel views, and is normally pre-assigned by the plane maker, so you may have to access the cfg file to modify those, as only the alt ctrl number key sequence is designed to be easily remappable in the sim itself.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

3 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

As far as I know, you can only use the top row number keys. The number keypad keys are treated as different and do not work for cameras.

If you wish, you can change any of the camera view selection mappings to any key combo you desire. It's all in the Options, Controls, Keyboard settings. This includes the numpad keys, but be aware that there is a difference depending on whether the num-lock is on or off. For example, with it on, MFS sees the numpad 8 key as "num 8", and with it off, it sees it as "up". The top row 8 key by itself is seen as just "8".

Personally, since I do not use the top row number keys to respond to ATC stuff, I changed all the instrument camera views from CTRL-#, to just #. Except for CTRL-1. I left that because I use 1 by itself for my main custom view. All my other custom views use ALT-#.

...jim

• Like 1

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.