Sign in to follow this  
redcloud111

Looking for ATC tutorials to use with P2ATC

Hello

Just want to say I think P2ATC is a great tool. I am new to aviation and haven't done much more than jump flight sims like Xplane and now MS2020 to do quick flights. But I have it up and running. But in  many cases I am not using it properly.

I have begun researching how to do proper flight plans, learn about air space, and, of course, use ATC. I have watched tons of youtube videos, and have begun to grasp the complexities involved. Again, I am not a pilot (I'm a university professor). But I am curious how much can be learned about piloting through simulation.

At this point, I can take off from an airport like Biggin Hill and request touch and goes and communicate without hiccups. But leaving its airspace and managing any other sort of communication causes long silences or a request I am unsure how to handle. I am in VR, so jumping back and forth to see P2ATC's suggestions is sometimes a problem for my computer. 

I was wondering if anyone has created a step-by-step tutorial for basic types of flights one might take in a sim and how to use ATC, like 1) leaving class G airspace and entering Class B or 2) leaving a non-towered AF and entering a class C or 3) or any number of other scenarios like speaking to ground, then tower, then switching to another channel to speak with approach, etc. I

If anyone has any suggestions on where to look for this sort of thing, I would greatly appreciate the direction.

Thanks!

Jeff Kanarish, one for VFR nd one for IFRDuring my pilot training I found this book helpful, “Say Again, Please; Guide to Radio Communications”, by Bob Gardner. More than just a comm guide, the author fully explains every aspect of coordination with ATC, non-towered airports, ground movement, and moving from your parking spot to flying through Class Bravo, and when and where to push the PTT button.  My own copy I cut out the book’s pages and scanned them to my iPad as a pdf to keep for reference.  You might check with your local library.  Mine has hard copies and electronic versions, but it’s a reference you will do well to add to your library.  Another source would be two “Radio Mastery” books by Jeff Kanarish, one for VFR operations  and one for IFR, very easy reads and thorough.

Edited by pleader
Added text

When on an IFR flight, you are not going to be concerned with the various airspace types since you are in constant contact with ATC.

When on a VFR Flight in the real world, you would need to establish contact with ATC before entering either Bravo or Charlie airspace.  Entering the airspace includes being within the altitude of the airspace, so you can come in under most Bravo airspaces without contacting ATC to get to a small airport near a larger one.  Of course, you would contact Tower before entering their airspace and get landing instructions for a towered airport/ Class C airspace.

P2A does not currently handle entry/traversal of Bravo airspace on a VFR flight.  That is on the list for future development.

There are many YouTube videos of both VFR and IFR flights using P2A.  Just do a Bing or Google search for Pilot2ATC and you'll get a large number of hits.  You can add VFR or IFR to look for specific types of flights.

Dave

Pleader. Thanks, will check it out!

Dave, thanks as well. I have been watching vids now for several weeks. I am looking for a more systematic way of learning.

Dave, also, at this point, I am primarily working through VFR. I figured once I understand that I would try IFR. Regarding your statement about P2A not handling traversal through Bravo. I assume that it works for class C in the UK? 

What I am currently looking for are the steps required to fly VFR from Biggin Hill to Southampton, with a waypoint added to fly over Lord Nelson's HMS Victory. I would create a flight plan to avoid Gatwick, but also would want to try flight following. I am looking for a tutorial on this sort of scenario because I am failing with communication. I can certainly fire up GPS, turn on auto pilot and let the plane fly through its waypoints. But I realize I am missing the critical communication part of aviation. For example, I would never be able to do this on Vatsim at this point, or Pilotedge.

P2A is great at what it does. An amazing addition would be for it to have an instructor like FSflyschool has for flying the aircraft. I asked them if they had any plans to add radio communication, and they said no. I am guessing the complexities involved are too difficult. I imagine a big part of learning this in reality is sitting next to your instructor, listening to him or her, and remembering the contexts.

Anyway, thanks for the information!

Adding to Dave’s reply, in addition to radio clearance to enter Class Bravo, and 2 way comm with Class Charlie tower before entering its airspace, assuming the controllers are operating during designated hours, Class Delta also requires two way comm with tower before entry. AIM 4-3-2.  

Edited by pleader
Added operating hours condition