Sign in to follow this  
ThomseN_inc

How are cloud tops determined?

Just bein curious...

As the title says i asked myself how the live weather system in MSFS determines the top of a cloud layer. If there are two or more layers it seems quite easy but what if theres only one?

Is it randomly generated or is there a way to gather info about that?

My observation is that very often the tops are around 30.000ft when there is an overcast or nearly overcast layer. Even when there are more than one it seems that quite often they top at 30.000.

So if anyone has a clue on how that system might work i'd be interested.

Best regards

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

Being based on the Meteoblue weather model feeds, they have specific products for that, both based on weather models that have different variables and levels of output and also on synthetic and real satellite images and even radar echoes. 

Using Tephigram-based model data is available and can be used for that determination.

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I think Meteoblue weather model tells sim where clouds tops and lows start and end. Some weather applications tells where clouds tops and lows are via meteograms. For example check windy app. 

Edited by spitzer45

C. Uygar

Aircraft Maint. Engineer. at LTFJ