Sign in to follow this  
Guest Douglas K

Maule Orion-Strange Flaps & Starting

I really believed that Microsoft had goofed when I saw that the flaps in the normal position on the Maule were "sticking up". Well the manual says that they do stick up at a 7 degree angle above the plane of the wing. This would cause in interruption in air flow, but they do it - WHY???I can't get the starter key to work on the Maule (both style panels). The engine tries to start but but the cranking stops after a few seconds. Boost on, Fuel Selector on Both, Tanks full, Electrical systems on, Throttle 1/4" out, and Mixture Rich. ???? Control-E does work.Regards,Dick Boley

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest allcott

Reflex flaps are also used in the glider in FSX.They are there to provide improved performance Simple explanation:http://www.orlandobuzzards.org/Mixing.htmA number of airfoils get an additional amount of lift by having a cusp located near the trailing edge (rear loaded airfoil). This works well for generating lift but it does two things which are not as desirable; first of all it gives the airfoil a higher pitching moment coefficient; second, it makes control surfaces feel heavy, making the airplane seem somewhat sluggish or heavy-handed. Both things can be fixed but with some penalties.The most common way to counter the pitching moment is to reflex the flap trailing edge up a few degrees, thus changing the aft loaded characteristics of the section. One problem though, by reflexing the flap you have also reduced the lift (for a constant angle of attack) that section generates. Since the section is still basically the same, the drag level is also the same, so what you have done in the end is created an airfoil with a much lower "l/d". Furthermore, if you reflexed the flap and not the aileron, you have reduced the lift carried at the root. This action increases the loading at the tip, thus causing an outboard loaded wing, which may be more susceptible to tip stall.(with thanks to Bill Husa)Allcott

Guest GA Flyer

>I can't get the starter key to work on the Maule (both style>panels). The engine tries to start but but the cranking stops>after a few seconds. Boost on, Fuel Selector on Both, Tanks>full, Electrical systems on, Throttle 1/4" out, and Mixture>Rich. ???? Control-E does work.>Regards,>Dick BoleySame here. Any thoughts.

Guest Douglas K

>>>> The engine tries to start but but the cranking stops after a few seconds.<<<

Guest bdg

Not sure if you noticed but one of the ailerons moves in the wrong direction while in the VC.Bob

I changed from 0.3 to 0.5 and it now fires up. Did not experiment with othe values.Thanks & Regards,Dick Boley

regards,

Yep the right-hand unit needs "re-rigged". Ok on outside view.Regards,Dick Boley

regards,

No they are correct, those are negative flaps, such as the ones in the glider too.Press F5 to set to normal no flap, then F6 to add negative flaps

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest nbl957

Thanks for this tip. It was driving me crazy.

Guest fireflyfx

so when cruising what position are you supposed to set the flaps to? negative or normal?

Guest bj00rn

>so when cruising what position are you supposed to set the>flaps to? negative or normal?I think the negative flap setting is meant to produce less drag when cruising, so yes negative it is.

Guest Douglas K

>>>>I changed from 0.3 to 0.5 and it now fires up. Did not experiment with othe values.Thanks & Regards<<<