Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

Technical Question

Good Morning Brian,

Very quick technical question - does any of FS2Crew products rely on MS Office Libraries and if they do, then how?

A group of simmers, including myself, recently have been exposed to never-seen before mso20win32client.dll CTD, and the module is a part of MS Office. Any attempt to remove MS Office from computer completely results in P3D's failure to start at all -  this alone hints that P3D (or its add-ones) somehow talks to MS Office . I read somewhere that FS2Crew uses MS Access db to "talk" numbers, but I might be wrong. In this case, probably the full reinstall of FS2Crew products would be required once MS Office is removed from the system. 

Could you please comment on it? 

Here is the story

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news-and-announcements/104117-very-strange-ctd-that-came-out-of-nowhere

Thanks

Dmitriy

Only RAAS.

RAAS uses the "Access Data Base Engine", which is used by Office as well.

The only problem we ever had was with users who keep very old 32 bit versions of Office on their system (meaning they also had the 32 bit version of the Access Data Base engine), and then these same users ran the 64 bit version of RAAS in P3D V4/5.

Obviously you can't use a 32 bit program with a 64 bit program.

The solution for these people was to upgrade to the 64 bit version of Office... that solved their problem.

Cheers,

First of all, thanks for the quick response.

Let me ask you a question. 

I have MS Office 365 currently installed and also 3 FS2Crew Products (NGXu, 747 and FSLabs) installed. IF I'm going to delete the entire MS Office product from my PC (including Access), does it mean that FS2Crew should be reinstalled?

Thanks again

Dmitriy

1 hour ago, byork said:

Office 365 is 64 bit?

I guess it is. I have purchased it directly from MS Store. I guess that the store selected the correct version based on the OS 

1 hour ago, byork said:

And FS2Crew doesn't use the Access data base engine to "talk numbers".

Only RAAS uses it to read the runways database files.

Other than RAAS, there's no connection between FS2Crew products and the Access Database Engine.

Brian,

Let's say I don't have MS Office at all. How does RAAS deal with the runways' db in this situation?