Sign in to follow this  
Kumoi

Help with Carenando Phenom 300 on FSX

I am new to sims and got all set up for a Hotstart TBM900 on X-Plane when I decided I wanted to learn the Phenom 300.  But I discovered the Carenando Phenom 300 is not compatible with XPlane or FS2020. So it appears I need to replace XPlane with FSX to get the Carenando product BUT, there are warnings about no SIDs, STARs, or ARRIVALs(!) so I am wondering what is really there. If anyone has personal experience with the Phenom 100 or 300 on a home flight sim, and can help a senior get things set up correctly I would be most appreciative.  I have a Brunner yoke, TQ6 quadrant and TPR rudder and good PC.  Thank you.

Hi,

Welcome to Avsim! I have the Phenom 300 but I use it with the GTN750 (payware addon), with which it is compatible, rather than the Navigraph, which, as you probably know, has to be purchased as an extension pack for this aircraft. I decided not to get the Carenado Navigraph extension pack as it seemed to have some issues and I already owned and was familiar with the Flight1 GTN. Although Carenado produce visually beautiful aircraft, unfortunately they generally tend to fall a little short on systems replication and it seems like their Navigraph is no exception to this with some bugs being reported.

I don't have X-Plane so I am not sure what business jets are available for that but arguably there are some better business jets than the Carenado Phenom available for FSX. The Flysimware Falcon and Lear immediately come to mind, although these also require a payware GTN750 for full functionality, and another one worth considering is the rather old but still excellent Flight1 Citation Mustang.

If you particularly want a Phenom though, your only choice at the moment is Carenado and, although you will be pleased by its excellent 'eye candy', you may find yourself becoming a little frustrated with its systems, depending on your level of expectation!

Bill

• Like 1

Hello Bill, thanks for your response. Yes, I want to get the Phenom 300 up and running to use as a muscle memory prelim for flying the EMB505 Class D sim in a few months. As such, I need to practice using a G1000.  Do you have any thoughts on FSX or P3D? I have used neither.  The key for me is to get the numbers and sequences in my head for practice early. That's why I am focused on the 300.  I just want a cockpit that works as close as possible to the real thing.  I am attaching a picture of the TBM900 setup I have using the RealSimGear front end. It works reasonably well but the (HotstarT/Xplane) G1000 capture and tracking leave a lot to be desired.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

-Chris

Hi Chris. At this point in time I am just using FSX simply because I have invested a lot in it and, having optimised it, it continues to run very well for me. It is however quite an old platform now with all the drawbacks of a 32-bit operating system and, for that reason, you might be better going with P3D, although it would have to be P3Dv4 as the Phenom doesn't seem to be compatible with the latest version (P3Dv5). If however your sole purpose in getting a new setup is just to help you to prepare for the Phenom, you don't necessarily need a state of the art platform so then it might be cheaper to just get FSX-Steam Edition.

With regard to having a cockpit that "works like the real thing", you may be a bit disappointed in the Carenado Phenom because, although it will look the part, I suspect you will find that the systems depth and replication, as I said in my first post, might leave a little to be desired in terms of practicing real world procedures.

BTW the picture of your setup has not appeared!

Bill

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

As Bill well noted there are some unfortunate system issues that can be frustrating especially for what you are looking for in preparation for your Class D sim time. One other thing to be aware of is due to this aircraft being a "glass cockpit" some in the sim community have complained about FPS hit depending where one is located in their sim flight. If you have a pretty high end computer you may not find that a problem. You might try doing a Google search for YouTube reviews on this Carenado aircraft. I believe one individual that has done quite a few reviews is FS Mania.(I think that's correct) and the review may help you even further.

Hi Bill, I had the picture to send but did not see where to attach it if it was not a URL !

Thanks for the info on the Phenom. Very much appreciate having the benefit of your experience.

-Chris