Sign in to follow this  
TallTanBarbie

P3D/FSX Field Of View (FOV) Angle Value

Is there an actual FOV angle specification?  I can't find one.

Is the zoom quantity just a linear magnification factor or is it the tangent of the half angle between the edges of the viewing window plane and the distance from the view window to the viewpoint?  i.e. if the distance from your head to the centre of the screen is the same as the distance from the screen centre to the left or right edge of the viewing window, then the field of view would be  Ω/2 = 45°, Ω = 2 x 45° = 90°, tan(Ω/2) = 0.7071.

Edited by TallTanBarbie

I'm not sure it's quite as straightforward as that - I know that the FOV calculation is different depending on whether you have WideViewAspect enabled or not, and zoom works differently in each case.

In P3D 3.3 and above, if you were to create a ViewGroup (but with a single display) then you could set the horizontal and vertical FOVs directly and the zoom will adjust to fit. 

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

4 hours ago, neilhewitt said:

I'm not sure it's quite as straightforward as that - I know that the FOV calculation is different depending on whether you have WideViewAspect enabled or not, and zoom works differently in each case.

In P3D 3.3 and above, if you were to create a ViewGroup (but with a single display) then you could set the horizontal and vertical FOVs directly and the zoom will adjust to fit. 

I'm using P3Dv5.1 and have WideViewAspect enabled.

X-Plane has a direct FOV angle setting but I can't find anything like that in the P3D config file.

I just use the sim to display the outside world if I'm not using VR and have a separate instrument panel display, so I want the FOV on the view plane window (i.e. the computer display) to correspond with the distance from my head to the screen.

Try Managing Cameras inside P3D when it’s running.

You can create your own camera view :

x y z p b h zoom

+ camera features like WidevieW correction 

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

According to Calclassic, in FS9, for a 4:3 monitor, the value was 0.8 radians (45.8º approx) of horizontal FOV and 0.6 rad (34.3º) of vertical FOV for a zoom value of 1.0. A zoom value of 0.5 would duplicate these FOVs.

Source: http://calclassic.com/sci_tutorial/index.html

For FSX/P3D with WideViewAspect=False, everything would be the same. If I understand correctly, for FSX/P3D with WideViewAspect=True, the vertical FOV would be kept at 0.6 rad (for zoom=1.0) and the horizontal would be expanded to whatever the aspect ratio of the monitor allows to. In a 16:9 monitor, it would be 0.8 rad x (16/9)/(4/3) = 1.07 rad = 61.1º

21 hours ago, TallTanBarbie said:

Is there an actual FOV angle specification?

If you want to be realistic, you'll need to get the physical FOV (you already did so in your post) and try to match the FOV in the sim with the actual one. You'll see now why people here like to buy big monitors for FS. In my case, I can't do much with my 15.6" laptop display hehehe

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

On 2/11/2021 at 2:53 PM, Luis Hernandez said:

According to Calclassic, in FS9, for a 4:3 monitor, the value was 0.8 radians (45.8º approx) of horizontal FOV and 0.6 rad (34.3º) of vertical FOV for a zoom value of 1.0. A zoom value of 0.5 would duplicate these FOVs.

Source: http://calclassic.com/sci_tutorial/index.html

For FSX/P3D with WideViewAspect=False, everything would be the same. If I understand correctly, for FSX/P3D with WideViewAspect=True, the vertical FOV would be kept at 0.6 rad (for zoom=1.0) and the horizontal would be expanded to whatever the aspect ratio of the monitor allows to. In a 16:9 monitor, it would be 0.8 rad x (16/9)/(4/3) = 1.07 rad = 61.1º

If you want to be realistic, you'll need to get the physical FOV (you already did so in your post) and try to match the FOV in the sim with the actual one. You'll see now why people here like to buy big monitors for FS. In my case, I can't do much with my 15.6" laptop display hehehe

Wow...this is interesting. Thanks.

• Upvote 1