Sign in to follow this  
N7470

Mach tuck added in update 1.13.6.0

I've been testing my modded C172 and aside from needing some adjustments for the flaps changes (like all 3rd party aircraft will likely need) I noticed something very interesting.

With flaps up, there is now a dramatic pitch down starting at 620 KTAS (knots true airspeed), it starts to get better right at mach 1 (661 KTAS) and it gone by 680 KTAS.   The same thing happens when slowing below 680 KTAS the nose will dip, and recover by 620 KTAS.  There is also now a very dramatic increase in air resistance leading up to mach 1 and then the aircraft will accelerate rapidly once you pass it.   With 10 degrees flaps (in the modded C172) the mach tuck begins around 580 KTAS instead of 620.  So the specific speeds will likely vary by aircraft type and flaps settings.

This is a welcome realism addition.  Before this update there were absolutely no transonic aerodynamic effects.

• Like 1

If you turn around you will probably find elevator and rudder are gone at that speed.

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

Neat. There's an effect I've read about where as you approach the sound barrier the increased pressure causes an abnormal reading on the airspeed indicator, and once you break the barrier your indicated airspeed jumps. I tried to google the effect for about 20 minutes to no avail; does anyone know what it is and if it's modeled?

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

2 hours ago, WestAir said:

Neat. There's an effect I've read about where as you approach the sound barrier the increased pressure causes an abnormal reading on the airspeed indicator, and once you break the barrier your indicated airspeed jumps. I tried to google the effect for about 20 minutes to no avail; does anyone know what it is and if it's modeled?

O, that shock wave

3 hours ago, G550flyer said:

O, that shock wave

Yeah, I was wrong. It's called the Pitot Pressure Rarifaction and it's the altimeter not the airspeed indicator (duh). As a pilot of 17 years I deserve to be made fun of for that lol.

Here's a video of it in action.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

5 hours ago, WestAir said:

Yeah, I was wrong. It's called the Pitot Pressure Rarifaction and it's the altimeter not the airspeed indicator (duh). As a pilot of 17 years I deserve to be made fun of for that lol.

Here's a video of it in action.

I wasn't making fun of you lol, I would never do that. Just wanted to throw in the shock wave. Now, another cool thing is to see the shockwave on the wing. In the Gulfstream, when the weather and sunlight is just right, you can see the shockwave dancing on the wing. Reminds me of a translucent flickering flame.

Rick

• Like 1

Well while all of you are discussing this at warp speed, you have all "overlooked" the fact that there was a change in ground effects, and in external camera view its funny that this very small label appears just before touchdown advising that what you are seeing is in fact ground effects!  LOL!

(Could not resist.  It is a "snow" day here!)

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere