Sign in to follow this  
Ahmed M Saleh

GTN voice callouts setting

10 minutes ago, RXP said:

Is the map aircraft icon showing up like a helicopter in the helicopter?

YES

10 minutes ago, RXP said:

Does it shows any "helicopter" specific information during boot or in the screens (HTAWS instead of TAWS)?

YES of course, it says HTAWS test OK and written HTAWS in the lower left corner of the GTN unit.

11 minutes ago, RXP said:

What about configuring it as TAWS B instead of TAWS A?

No change, it is the same, for GA it says TAWS and no audio callouts. For any Helicopter configuration A or B and TCAD it says HTAWS. Does not work with terrain proximity as expected.

11 minutes ago, RXP said:

The main difference otherwise is the former has a retractable gear (speed set for TAWS A) and the latter is fixed (value = 0)

No difference....

It seems that HTAWS automatically works with all the bells and whistles whenever TAWS is selected within a helicopter. Otherwise no callouts after 500.

So the thing is to make the GTN believe it is a helicopter I think 😄

But isn't it what you wanted to get in the first place?!? 

VCO is included with the GPWS and depends on TAWS. However the VCO button I believe is only for helicopters so that you can disable it when needed for the mission?!!?

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

10 hours ago, RXP said:

But wan't what you wanted to get in the first place?!? 

VCO is included with the GPWS and depends on TAWS. However the VCO button I believe is only for helicopters so that you can disable it when needed for the mission?!!?

No. I want callouts to be enabled for all planes not only helos. I want to hear the GTN calling 500, 400, 300.... until 50. But it is only possible in HTAWS. Actually I do not want to disable VOC, I want to enable them for GA too 🙂

The GTN VCO is limited to announcing 500 and this is all described in the Garmin GTN manuals as far as I can tell.

I've further read some more and the GTN TAWS/HTAWS is solely based on the Terrain and Obstacle databases referenced to MSL on one hand, and the GPS Position and GSL altitude on the other hand.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

The Bell 429 skid version with GTN 750/650 has HTAWS on TAWSA for the GTN750 and is not available on the GTN650. In GTN1 "settings" there is a choice of TAWSA, TAWSB or terrain proximity. With the HTAWS on TAWSA, one is able to select from a wide range of altitude levels from 500 feet and below.

The Rotorsim EC135 V5 EMS freeware is restricted for many options and HTAWS would not show up for me. I would asume that this is on purpose because full features would be available on the payware package...which is a nice unit.

HTAWS is meant for Helicopter operations, is an add on for real units and is simulated in the trrainer. I have tried a few databases which all contained the the two DB's and terrain entries. The heli symbol will show on the map and HTAWS in shown on the left bottom of the GTN750 screen.

Just info but I have more combo's to try still...seems to be leading to an aircraft designation made by the aircraft developer...but I could be wrong...will keep trying though. Learn something new all the time, which is great.  🙂

• Like 1

I should have tried in-sim and not just reading my tech notes!

• I confirm if you're using an rotorcraft, and the GTN detects it is an rotorcraft, it will automatically configure as a GTN for rotorcraft.
  • If any configured aircraft engine is of type "main rotor" or "VTOL", the aircraft is considered being a rotorcraft.
  • However you can't override whether it is an airplane or a rotorcraft in just changing the ownship map icon.
  • VCO selection is available if you enable TAWS (A or B) and offers the full call out selection.
Edited by RXP

4 hours ago, RXP said:

I should have tried in-sim and not just reading my tech notes!

• I confirm if you're using an rotorcraft, and the GTN detects it is an rotorcraft, it will automatically configure as a GTN for rotorcraft.
  • If any configured aircraft engine is of type "main rotor" or "VTOL", the aircraft is considered being a rotorcraft.
  • However you can't override whether it is an airplane or a rotorcraft in just changing the ownship map icon.
  • VCO selection is available if you enable TAWS (A or B) and offers the full call out selection.

So is it possible to change the aircraft engine in X-plane and call it a day? Not sure if this can have an effect on flying characteristics ...

56 minutes ago, Ahmed M Saleh said:

So is it possible to change the aircraft engine in X-plane and call it a day? Not sure if this can have an effect on flying characteristics ...

You shouldn't have to: any rotorcraft in X-Plane is almost certainly having an engine of type "main rotor"?!!?

11 hours ago, RXP said:

You shouldn't have to: any rotorcraft in X-Plane is almost certainly having an engine of type "main rotor"?!!?

I mean if I want the callouts in fixed wing aircraft too, I would have to change the aircraft designation. But it creates trouble.... so helicopers have the full callouts set only for now. 

4 hours ago, Ahmed M Saleh said:

so helicopers have the full callouts set only for now. 

Yes, like with a real GTN.

Altitude callouts are otherwise a mode in any GPWS most likely found in airplanes than rotorcraft if I'm not mistaken.