Sign in to follow this  
ssair1

Night Lighting Tweak

I know this topic has been covered before, but it was a while back. Therefore, I will appreciate the latest "consensus" concerning the .cfg tweak for getting earlier night lighting. I find the default airport/runway/scenery lighting to start too late automatically. I want them to start earlier... Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Shelman S.

Intel i9 9900KS, o/c @ 5.1 GHz; EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming; GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER; Thermaltake 32GB RAM @ 3600 DDR4; 3xSabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB SSDs; LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B 38" 21:9 Curved 144 Hz G-SYNC IPS Gaming Monitor; Acer Predator x34 UHD (3440x1440) @ 100hz GSYNC; Windows 10 64 bit; X-Plane 10; X-Plane 11.5r2, DCS World Open Beta, Prepar3dv4.5; Prepar3dv5 Professional. Honeycomb Yoke, Saitek Pedals, Switch, and Autopilot Panels. Obutto R3Volution Cockpit. Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and F18 Joysticks and Throttle. 

this

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Just to add to this: what's become clear is that if you have these lines in your Prepar3d.cfg in v5.1, the lights do go on and off at different times than if you don't have them in there at all (by about 15 minutes on my system), but that time then stays the same no matter what actual values you have for the settings. So they do something, but not what they used to do.

I have not found any workaround so far.

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

7 hours ago, FPStewy said:

this

I was going to say @FPStewy the thread you linked only shows strange behavior out of the old THESHOLD tweak.  If the OP is using v4 it should work better though.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

6 hours ago, neilhewitt said:

Just to add to this: what's become clear is that if you have these lines in your Prepar3d.cfg in v5.1, the lights do go on and off at different times than if you don't have them in there at all (by about 15 minutes on my system), but that time then stays the same no matter what actual values you have for the settings. So they do something, but not what they used to do.

I have not found any workaround so far.

after researching this for longer that I though possible and half a bottle of rum, this is what I take from it. It seems to be hard coded now and it has to do with a mix of several things including visibility so even if you change the threshold the visibility will override it. It seems the decision is made at the individual airports according to time, sunset and visibility variables. To add, every add-on airport has their own variable, the only way to change that is with airport designers. There doesn't seem to be an overall setting that can be changed.

• Like 2

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

2 hours ago, FPStewy said:

after researching this for longer that I though possible and half a bottle of rum, this is what I take from it. It seems to be hard coded now and it has to do with a mix of several things including visibility so even if you change the threshold the visibility will override it. It seems the decision is made at the individual airports according to time, sunset and visibility variables. To add, every add-on airport has their own variable, the only way to change that is with airport designers. There doesn't seem to be an overall setting that can be changed.

On behalf of the Avsim P3D community, I commend you for your service, kind sir! I hope you enjoyed that rum! I guess I'll have to re-install some shaders and 3rd party textures to compensate for the unrealistic late lighting effects. 

Regards,

Shelman S.

Intel i9 9900KS, o/c @ 5.1 GHz; EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming; GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER; Thermaltake 32GB RAM @ 3600 DDR4; 3xSabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB SSDs; LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B 38" 21:9 Curved 144 Hz G-SYNC IPS Gaming Monitor; Acer Predator x34 UHD (3440x1440) @ 100hz GSYNC; Windows 10 64 bit; X-Plane 10; X-Plane 11.5r2, DCS World Open Beta, Prepar3dv4.5; Prepar3dv5 Professional. Honeycomb Yoke, Saitek Pedals, Switch, and Autopilot Panels. Obutto R3Volution Cockpit. Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and F18 Joysticks and Throttle.