Sign in to follow this  
Lestat11

VFR Flights

I am trying to do some VFR flight in the 152 am still wanting to use p2a and some times do some flight following or request take off / landing 

is there any guides out there on how to do this i am still pretty new to flight siming and aviation and am not sure who i need to contact when at an unmanned location or can i just take off then contact say control when in the air?

I've found really good videos on Youtube that explain all aspects of flying, including communicating with ATC. Search for something like "aviation tutorials". The exact procedures are going to vary according to which classes of airports and airspace are involved. None of it is particularly difficult...there's just lots of rules to remember. It's kept me interested for quite a long time. 🙂

At non-towered airports you can use the CTAF frequency to announce your taxi, takeoff, and landing intentions and positions.

If you want flight following at non-towered airports you can contact Clearance at a nearby airport or call Center.

Youtube is your best friend for FS.

Edited by ANCRM114

MSFS, NaviGraph Charts & FMS, Pilot2ATC, FsHub
R5 3600X ,RTX 2060S, 32GB, SSD

do you know if p2a has a CTAF frequency am trying to find out what is possible with p2a rather than the real world 

dont get me wrong i would like to learn both just dont want to be trying to do something in p2a if its not possible  

P2A uses, as much as possible, the real world frequencies at airports, and will display these for you a couple of different ways. That said, you will not hear any other pilots even if you are tuned to a working CTAF frequency. This is because, while you can have ai traffic in X-Plane, you cannot hear other pilots talking to each other or to ATC. (Maybe you can if you are using the stock X-Plane ATC, but I've never bothered to use that.) So, if you are flying in or out of an uncontrolled airport, and are tuned to the local CTAF frequency, you will not hear other pilots announcing their positions/intentions. And if you announce yours, no one will reply (which is actually realistic). Any non-native ATC program for X-Plane, as far as I know, will have the same limitation. 

All that said, there's no reason to limit your VFR flying to small, uncontrolled airports. You can fly VFR pretty much anywhere. If you are leaving, or arriving at, or transiting a controlled airport, you will have varying degrees of communication with the controllers there. It all depends, and it's all part of planning your flight...knowing who you are going to have to talk to, and when. 

• Like 1