Sign in to follow this  
TexasGary

Scaling By Windows, NCP, Or MSFS?

I have a 4K monitor, and I was running MSFS with my monitor at its native resolution (3840 X 2160) at 30 Hz and scaling the resolution to 70 (2688 X 1512) in MSFS.  I have Vsync on, frames locked at 60 fps, running in fullscreen in MSFS.  This looked pretty good and maintained a solid 30 fps for the most part.

Then I started reading about others saying that setting a custom resolution with the Nvidia Control Panel and then running that resolution at 100 render scaling in MSFS was less blurry and the instruments on the panel were a little easier to read.  Others said this is the way to go because the NCP does a better job of scaling than Windows or MSFS does.  So I set a custom resolution of 2688 X 1512 with the NCP and then set that as my desktop resolution with render scaling set to 100 in MSFS.  But after a couple of flights I cant really see any difference.

For others that have done this, am I missing something here?  It doesn't seem worth the pain of having to switch my desktop resolution back and forth between native and custom just to run MSFS like this.

Thanks 

Gary M.

| PPL ASEL |

System Specs: W11 Pro, Corsair 4000X Mid Tower, Z790 Aorus Master Motherboard, i9-13900KF, 64 GB DDR5 SRAM, RTX 4090, Dell AW3821DW Monitor, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, MFG Crosswind Pedals,TrackIR

Probably a waste of time TG.  Too much snake oil out there.  Plus, I believe TAA needs a setting of anything other than 100% to work properly.

With my 1080Ti, I do similar to you.  4k on a 4k monitor, set to 70%.  I have found, since the last update with the new way of refreshing the screen, Vsync 30 set in sim is by far the smoothest. (note: this didn't work properly for me until the recent update).

You just need to make sure nothing else is set for vsync and nothing else is limiting frames, such as Nvidia control panel, or Riva Tuner SS.

One thing I have found Nvidia CP is good for is setting the sharpness.  By default it is too much and seems to clash with the anti-aliasing.  So I turn it off in the user config file, and set it at 50% in NCP.  I don't set film grain as it doesn't seem to do much on mine.

These are by far the best settings I have found up to now.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, TexasGary said:

This looked pretty good and maintained a solid 30 fps for the most part.

It is always very interesting to observe how individuals in the flightsimming community, after beeing pretty satisfied with how the system runs / performes, still feel the need of tweaking and changing stuff and trying to squeeze even more out of the "pretty good" running system, mostly ending up in a mess....

Let's put it this way: in MSFS you can push all those settings quite high and you will get a SIM performing and looking much much better then the tweak-iest P3D (IMHO).

I remember reading stuff quite close after the launch of MSFS: Are there any CFG tweaks, are they any shader tweaks, etc?

My post will not provide you with an answer to your Q but maybe you might overthink your needs and wants and spent more time flying :)

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

Bobcat, are you running your monitor at 60 Hz with vsync set to 30?  If you are I may try that and see if its any better than 30 Hz with vsync set to 60.  And I took your advice and turned off sharpness in the config file and set it to .50 in NCP.  Definitely looks better, thanks.

Reaper, your right.  I am like one of those suckers in America back in the 1800s that would buy the snake oil from the guy when he rode into town.  I definitely need to put the snake oil down and do more flying and less tweaking.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond guys.  Appreciate it.

Gary M.

| PPL ASEL |

System Specs: W11 Pro, Corsair 4000X Mid Tower, Z790 Aorus Master Motherboard, i9-13900KF, 64 GB DDR5 SRAM, RTX 4090, Dell AW3821DW Monitor, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, MFG Crosswind Pedals,TrackIR