Sign in to follow this  
GHarrall

FSX Wet Runways

Guest cbuchner1

These dots look like total reflectance of a blue sky texture to me. Did you take these shots at mid-day? How does this look for a night flight?

Reflectance of blue sky? It's overcast cloud conditions at 10am.Even if it is reflections, it's a terrible looking effect. Are we saying that this is normal?Glenn

I would definetely say that's sky reflections. In my shots it quite obvious that even with an overcast sky there is still blue sky showing in spots.Pete S.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/164269.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/164270.jpg

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

>Reflectance of blue sky? It's overcast cloud conditions at>10am.>>Even if it is reflections, it's a terrible looking effect. >>Are we saying that this is normal?>Are our "different" CPU/video cards/ monitors showing the same pic, as something completely different? To me, the pics show a depiction of a very wet and rain soaked surface. I've never thought of it as "terrible looking", and I don't see any "spots" either.L.Adamsonedit: I should also make note, that an asphalt runway will look different than a dipicted concrete runway/taxiway/ramp at the same airport.If anything, IMO, the effects are a bit over done, as are some of the water effects on lakes while set at high settings. But when I first landed at an FSX airport and saw these conditions, I though it looked more "cool" than terrible.

I agree, Larry.The effect is very nice and it definetely gives an appearance of a very wet runway!If there is a bone to pick with MS over rain effects, it would be the elimination of dynamic water drops on the windscreen.Pete S.

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

Glenn I did some testing last night. I think that when I set AA and AF to "Application Controlled" the wet runways looked better to me. Less grainy. Less swimming dots when moving.Whereas using the card's AA and AF, produced more "grainies" and blue speckles.The drawback is, that FSX's AA and AF don't look as good for distant textures. My card does a better job on those. So I can't have both. :( At least with present drivers...And you see what you are being told in this thread? "It's normal", "It looks fine".I agree with you, it does not quite look right. It is perhaps a bit overdone as LAdamson said. It's not TOO bad though. I can live with it. But certainly I would never say it looks great. And looking "cool" is not my criteria...I want it to look "real" not "cool". "cool" is when I play Marble Madness on my arcade emulator. "Real" is what I want in my FS.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>... And looking "cool" is not my criteria...I want it to>look "real" not "cool". "cool" is when I play Marble Madness>on my arcade emulator. "Real" is what I want in my FS.LOL, I'm afraid "Real" would make a mess in your computer room.Water and computers don't really get along too well!>And you see what you are being told in this thread? "It's >normal", "It looks fine".Guess it is all about personal opinions and expectations. Just because other people are satisfied with their FSX experience does not make them wrong, or you right! Sorry if our satisfaction annoys you! (Well not really);) Pete S.

Pete S.

>>This cant be right though. It looks nothing like those shots>we saw from ACES during development. When did a wet runway>ever look like this?>the key word is during development. why do people think they are looking at the final product when it is still being developed? features could be toned down, or taken away, for various reasons, bugs, frame rates, not enough time to finish it completely.

Just looks like a shimmering blue mess to me, almost like an artifact from a bad GPU.....Nope, not happy with it at all.In fact, I think it looks so bad I would rather disable the effect totally. Anyone know how?

>Just looks like a shimmering blue mess to me, almost like an>artifact from a bad GPU.....>>Nope, not happy with it at all.>>In fact, I think it looks so bad I would rather disable the>effect totally. >And mine looks like mini-ripples of clear water, that's moving as the rain drops hit.

>>Reflectance of blue sky? It's overcast cloud conditions at>>10am.>>>>Even if it is reflections, it's a terrible looking effect. >>>>Are we saying that this is normal?>>>Are our "different" CPU/video cards/ monitors showing the same>pic, as something completely different? To me, the pics show a>depiction of a very wet and rain soaked surface. I've never>thought of it as "terrible looking", and I don't see any>"spots" either.>>L.Adamson>>edit: I should also make note, that an asphalt runway will>look different than a dipicted concrete runway/taxiway/ramp at>the same airport.>>If anything, IMO, the effects are a bit over done, as are some>of the water effects on lakes while set at high settings. But>when I first landed at an FSX airport and saw these>conditions, I though it looked more "cool" than terrible.Your eyes must be bad. Honestly, when did ANY wet surface look anything like this?The 'effect' only stretches about 20 feet in front of the aircraft making it look even more ridiculous.

"why do people think they are looking at the final product when it is still being developed?"I dont.However, what do you expect when screenshots are advertised to the masses?Glenn

this stuff happens all the time, the marketing department is never on the same page as the developers

>Water and computers don't really get along too well!>Water cooling!!! :)>does not make them wrong, or you right! Sorry if our>satisfaction annoys you! (Well not really);) > Actually, I am "satisfied" well enough, too. I did say, "I can live with the wet runways as they are". They are not perfect but since it's the first iteration of the sim to implement them, I can't complain too much.And this thread is good in that it made me experiment with the wet runways, and I think I now have them looking considerably better. Thanks to everyone who reponded, of course...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

For me, letting the sim control AA and AF improved the wet runway blue-dot grainy effect.I think you already tried application controlled AF and AA vs. driver controlled. If so, it must be the driver/gpu thing.Like i said, on mine, I've improved the wet runways, but they are still not quite up to snuff, but they'll do for me.To disable, I know if you disabled shaders that would end the effect.However, that would take away other desirable things...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett