Sign in to follow this  
Babbo

Torquesim Islanders BN-2B/T flickering GTN

Dear all, dear Jean-Luc,

Running Win10pro, AMD's Adrenalin driver under Vulkan, X-Plane, RXP's GTNs and Torquesim Islanders, BN-2B and BN-2T, all of it up to date, I encountered heavy GTN 650 and 750 flickering, but as tested so far, only with these two specific planes. I already asked the developer and he argued with well-known OpenGL/Vulkan/bridge-issues, only solvable by AMD.

So, consequently, as in Torquesim's case, I’m far away from making you responsible for anything. But, on the other hand, maybe, it cannot be excluded that RXP experts or some forum readers have an idea.

Many thanks for considering!

Hi,

There are outstanding known issues with latest XP11:

https://www.x-plane.com/kb/x-plane-11-52-release-notes/
XPD-10709, XPD-10868 Plugin OpenGL drawing artifacts under Windows with Vulkan on AMD GPUs.

Is this flickering problem also happening if your run XP11 in OGL mode instead of Vulkan?

Usually these problems are showing up when a plugin is changing the drawing state for drawing and is not putting it back to the state it was prior drawing. In this case, the next plugin will start drawing with an altered state. However I don't suspect this is the case here and this might just be related to the AMD known bug.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Thanks for the reply! - Yes, it's Vulkan-only. And, I was aware of XP's known-bug-confirmation. However, I absoluetly doubt - as it is often argued - that this is an AMD-exclusive fault. How else could it be that some planes, actually a clear majority, perfectly collaborate with your GTNs and some other ones struggle - not to forget: under the same Adrenalin-driver. This is something I can't really understand. (Unfortunately, the nice and fast-selling advice, Turn off Vulkan, isn't really a nice one.)

7 hours ago, Babbo said:

Unfortunately, the nice and fast-selling advice, Turn off Vulkan

My suggestion was not a nice and fast-selling advice, rather, it was a support question for you to cross check so that I can try inferring a possible cause from your answer, and therefore a solution.

Would you mind trying in OGL mode and compare how it goes?

Edited by RXP

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Sorry, Jean-Luc, for causing a misunderstanding: what you really couldn't know, that nice-advice-comment (you quoted above) was not directed to you ...

And, of course, here is the OGL-result: absolutely stable GTNs 650 and 750!  (... and incredible 30! frames less 😞)

Edited by Babbo

On 4/14/2021 at 11:58 AM, Babbo said:

Torquesim Islanders, BN-2B and BN-2T,

So at least the product is working fine with these aircraft if in OGL mode, but not in Vulkan mode, if I understand it all correctly?

Is there a chance these aircraft are using SASL or any other similar plugin for their gauges, and this 3rd party plugin would need an update to be fully compatible with the latest XP11 version?

PS: I've edited the topic subject because it seems specific to this aircraft and this might help getting more feedback from other customers.

Edited by RXP

Yes, correctly understood.

And as concerns your question, that potential SASL-problem: no idea, but is there anything I can do?

You won't be able to do anything on your end but at least cross-checking whether the SASL version the aircraft is using, if any, is compatible with the XP11 version you're running. This requires you find out first whether it is using SASL, and then inquire to the aircraft support.

For example with the Carenado S340:

X-Plane 11\Aircraft\Carenado S340_v1.2\plugins\SASL3_Tbient\version.txt

this is the folder containing the aircraft SASL scripts and the version number is in this file.

Nothing visible on the surface that gives any hint, just a dll in the background.