Sign in to follow this  
jfwharton

P3D v5.1 stuttering

I have been noticing stuttering lately with some of my aircraft when in P3D v5.1.  Namely my flysimware aircraft.  When, for example, taxiing at KDEN by Flightbeam, I experience momentary stutters about every 15 seconds when taxiing or flying.  I thought it was with a particular plugin so I started that line of troubleshooting.  Then I started trying other aircraft.  No stuttering with my Carenado aircraft, PMDG 737 NGXu, FsLabs A320 etc.  But I do experience it with my Flysimware Lear 35A , Falcon 50 and MU2.  All of these have the Reality XP GTN 750 installed in them which I did a few days ago, changing from the Flight1 GTN over to the Reality XP GTN.  So I am looking for any suggestions as to why I am having this issues.  The stuttering does not happen in P3D v4.5, only in P3D v5.1.  Thank you for your suggestions.

Well I should have troubleshot more.  I had another aircraft that also had stuttering.  I removed all addons from my addon folder and tried P3D v5.1 and the stutter went away, so not to try to figure out which addon is causing this, but only with certain aircraft.

Well after removing all of my plugins the stuttering stopped.  I put them all back in and removed a few at a time to see if I could identify any that were causing the stuttering.  After pulling a few out, putting them back in, pulling a few others out, on and on I could not identify any individual addon that was causing the issue.  It would seem the issue is resource related which is only affecting a few aircraft in P3D v5.1 but not in P3D v4.5.  Is there anything that can be done with the flysimware aircraft to reduce the resources they use?

14 hours ago, jfwharton said:

It would seem the issue is resource related which is only affecting a few aircraft in P3D v5.1 but not in P3D v4.5.  Is there anything that can be done with the flysimware aircraft to reduce the resources they use?

The FSW aircraft are complex simulations with very good system depth -- that does take a lot of coding. Such is the nature of so called 'study level' simulations. That said, I have not seen other reports of stutters with FSW a/c that seem to occur at somewhat consistent intervals -- like the 15 seconds you mentioned. It seems like one of your addons is periodically storing info such as aircraft state information.  Are you using any addons that store info so that if a CTD occurs you can reload/restart the flight from about when the CTD happened? Real time weather updates are another possibility.

And there are also computer hardware considerations -- CPU, GPU, disk space and the amount of RAM memory.

Al

Edited by ark

1 minute ago, ark said:

The FSW aircraft are complex simulations with very good system depth -- that does take a lot of coding. Such is the nature of so called 'study level' simulations. That said, I have not seen other reports of stutters with FSW a/c that seem to occur at somewhat consistent intervals -- like the 15 seconds you mentioned. It seems like one of your addons is periodically storing info such as aircraft state information.  Are you using any addons that store info so that if a CTD occurs you can reload/restart the flight from about when the CTD happened?

Al

I have no idea.  As I mentioned I pulled out addons and then put them back in to try to identify any that were causing this behavior.  I could not identify any particular addon.  Also, this only happens with my Flysimware aircraft and my xTremeprototypes Lear 25.  It does not happen on any of my many Carenado aircraft no on my PMDG 737 NGXu or my FSLabs A320.  And those last two are definitely complex study level aircraft.

29 minutes ago, jfwharton said:

Also, this only happens with my Flysimware aircraft and my xTremeprototypes Lear 25. 

That makes me wonder what might be common to those aircraft, like for instance maybe a GPS or WX addon, or some software utility, etc, that you don't use with the PMDG or FSLabs aircraft. Try disabling just the GTN you recently installed and see if that makes a difference (load the Lear35 with the default FSW GNS 530 and see what happens). Also make sure all addons have been updated to their latest versions for P3Dv5.1.

Al

Edited by ark

I already tried that, disabling the GTN.  But I have the GTN and WX radar in other aircraft and they don't have this issue.  Thanks for the suggestions.  But I have already checked, everything is up to date.  Also this only happens in P3D v5.1.  I have the same aircraft, scenery and addons in P3D v4.5 and no issue.

10 minutes ago, jfwharton said:

I already tried that, disabling the GTN.  But I have the GTN and WX radar in other aircraft and they don't have this issue.  Thanks for the suggestions.  But I have already checked, everything is up to date.  Also this only happens in P3D v5.1.  I have the same aircraft, scenery and addons in P3D v4.5 and no issue.

OK, sorry couldn't help. If it were me I'd probably try reinstalling the P3Dv5.1 client as just a "shot in the dark".  If reinstalling the addons one by one didn't help identify the problem, I'm out of ideas, at least for now.

Al

33 minutes ago, jfwharton said:

Thanks but that isn't worth it

OK.  One last thought: Do you use FSUIPC6?  Is so, note here is an autosave option that you can set up to save data every x seconds.

Al

Edited by ark

I finally found what was causing the issue.  The MILVIZ WX radar.  Since there isn't a way to install the aircraft without the weather radar and for now I don't want to uninstall it because it works in P3D v4.5, I have gone into each aircraft's panel.cfg file and remarked out the weather radar gauges.  This has for now fixed the stuttering issue.  Yeah!

31 minutes ago, jfwharton said:

I finally found what was causing the issue.  The MILVIZ WX radar.  Since there isn't a way to install the aircraft without the weather radar and for now I don't want to uninstall it because it works in P3D v4.5, I have gone into each aircraft's panel.cfg file and remarked out the weather radar gauges.  This has for now fixed the stuttering issue.  Yeah!

There is an update to the Milviz radar for P3Dv5.1. If you don't have it, if you email Milviz with proof that you own a previous version of the radar, they will email you back a discount code to enter at the time of purchase. It is important that you get the code BEFORE you purchase the upgrade -- no discount otherwise.

Glad you figured out what was common to the 'problem' aircraft.  🙂

Al