Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Positive FSX Experience

Hi allWhilst I bought FSX on the day of release here in NZ, it has been largely untouched by me until now. This weekend, I finally bought the new rig I had been planning for FSX (pre-dx10):Core2duo E6600Asus P5VD2 Mobo Asus EN7600GT 256 Meg Gfx2 Gig DDDR2 667 (not 800 sadly but soon..!)2x80 Seagate SATAII`s in a RAID 0 22" Chimei widescreen monitorThe mobo and gfx card will probably be replaced once hardware dx-10 is readily available and affordable in NZ. Now, to my surprise FSX runs really quite well. One good thing about all the horror stories is that my expectations were low! Parked at KOSH (summer, fair weather, Aeroworx Kingair) I am getting an average of 15fps at 1680x1050x32bpp my settings are as follows:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/164730.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/164731.jpgI haven`t done any tweaking to the cfg files yet, except to apply the deserts fix texture batch file.The old IT man`s adage applies: if in doubt, throw some hardware at the problem! Seriously though, I read reports of people with far flasher rig`s than this who are getting <10fps rates. I think with all things, there are compromises. I forgo the new water effects so I can have dense autogen and hi-res textures. Similarly, I have low AI at the moment, but I am running in a very high screen resolution with AA and AF both on.I have been seriously flying FSX for about 5 hours now - I do like the thermal effects and the new default aircraft are actually really flyable - the Beaver is superb - I just wish it was amphibious rather than floats.Keep you spirits up and happy flying.JamesPS , FS9 is still very much there on my system - The LVLD 767 and PIC737 are two good reasons to keep it, along all the other wonderful addons that 3 years of hard work has given us..

G'day James,oh-bugger!! :-)I'm assembling a new system with identical CPU, video card and ram as yours and did have a slightly higher expectation. ( was hoping for 20-25 fps). I have read just about all the tales off woe and tales of elation, but 15 FPS is really borderline. Thanks for the heads up.Have you tried the Nzone nvidia reccommended settings for their graphic cards?.Would you please be able to setup your system with the 7600GT settings and post your results.http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_fsx_techtips.htmlhttp://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_ttpop_fsx.htmlCheers from across the Tasman,Roger

Hi RogerI`ll give the settings a try tonight and report back.Thanks for the link. I`m only now beginning the serious tweaking so I may well do better than I am getting now.James

Just for the heck of it, play with the autogen slider. Off is usually good for 10 more fps, and actually looks better in numerous places, thanks to the photograhic textures used in FSX. A good example is the Hawaii MegaScenery I'm using. Plenty of city buildings, airport terminals/hangars, oil refineries, ship loading facilities, etc., but none of the "tacky" autogen houses covering the photo textures. I put the slider to dense to take a look, and quickly moved it back. But on the other hand, some scenery can really use it for the trees. Most of my FSX flying is close or at 25 fps. Autogen usually off, and water varies depending on where.L.Adamson

Hi Yeah, I know autogen is a killer but I really like it - NZ is a very rural country and trees are important. I`m willing to forgo significant AI traffic and water effects in order to get autogen. I am going to try some of the mods to simplify / reduce the texture sets though. I`m also going to reduce the autogen buildings number and retain the trees. Agreed about the water - if I`m in the floatplane I`ll push the water settings up but pull them down if I`m approaching a coastal city (Wellington for example)CheersJames

Hi RogerI tried the settings for the 7600gt fron the nzone site. They are actually quite cautious. In the exact same situation as before I was getting a min of 25 and upto 40 fps when doing circuits of KOSH rw 18.For me, the view is far too empty and the textures far to low-res. I`ll do some refinement to these settings and report backCheersJames

G'day James,Thanks for posting your results.>I tried the settings for the 7600gt fron the nzone site. They are >actually quite cautious. In the exact same situation as before I was >getting a min of 25 and upto 40 fps when doing circuits of KOSH rw >18.Ah that's better!. I agree that those settings are really just a starting point from which the user can then decide on what compromises he is willing to make. However, with those settings the sim is very playable.Acccepting that the 7600GT is is only a medium range graphics cardone can't have it all, and I'm quite at ease with sparse scenery. ( I'm used to it :-) ) It's a case of swings and roundabouts.I look forward to see just what you do manage to sqeeze out of your system. My local computer shop doesn't reopen for a few more days - so I can't finish building my computer.Cheers,Roger