Sign in to follow this  
Paulcoy

MSFS 2020 and Quest 2

Thanks kraszus. Yes that's how I've started doing it now.

If you're not familiar with bit rate, my understanding of it is -  in this scenario with the quest 2, it's the amount of bits per second the video compressor (CODEC) uses to create the image that's sent to the headset via USB. Generally, the more bits used, the more accurate the reproduction of the image.

In the world of CODECs there are constant bit rate and variable bit rate compression methods. 

Constant bit rate maintains the same bits per second regardless of the source video it's compressing.

Variable bit rate uses an average setting (sometimes called target) which I think quest is calling "encode dynamic bit rate",  and a maximum setting which I believe will be "dynamic bit rate max". The compressor will throttle back and forth between target and max values depending upon the complexity of the video frame. Lots of sharp contrasty areas and lots of colours etc it will increase the amount of bits required per second to maintain image quality when necessary, but it won't exceed the maximum setting. Large areas of uniform colour require less bits per second and therefore drop back down towards the target value. I'm unsure if it can drop below this value or if this is as low as it can go?

Depending upon the source video being compressed, the variable option can potentially result in better quality compressed footage and sometimes less bits per second overall (smaller file size) than the constant bit rate option.

Edited by dogmanbird

Thanks again Dogmanbird. So am I supposed to use one or the other, or both. Any recommended Bitrate for "Dynamic Bitrate Max ". Also I read that there is no point going over 350 with "Encode Bitrate (Mbps)" as it does nothing beyond this point, does that make sense?

I'm not sure that the quest link offers constant bitrate as an option, and it uses only variable bit rate. You could try 180 as the encode setting (average bitrate used), and 350 as the max setting (what it will throttle up to if necessary).