Sign in to follow this  
Alistair Logie

Is Bluetooth still a no-no?

I noticed in the FAQ thread that BT headsets weren't recommended for MCE, but that was back in 2016. Is there a fundamental issue with Bluetooth that doesn't allow it to be used with MCE, or has the situation changed since 2016?

Thanks,

Alistair

2 hours ago, Alistair Logie said:

I noticed in the FAQ thread that BT headsets weren't recommended for MCE, but that was back in 2016. Is there a fundamental issue with Bluetooth that doesn't allow it to be used with MCE, or has the situation changed since 2016?

Thanks,

Alistair

Can't say for sure.

It has more to do with Microsoft speech engine support for those types of headsets.

I see Dragon recommending a few Buetooth headsets, but be aware, they use their own speech engine. And the headsets cost a fortune.

If you already have a Bluetooth one, can't lose anything by giving it a shot.

Click Start->Windows->Assign sound device and see if the device is listed

Run the speech training tool and check it also works there: Start->Multi Crew EXperienc->Speech training.

If you're on the market for a new headset, then our advice is, any wired USB headset it the US$20-US$ 30 price range on amazon.com will do the job.

With so many facturers competing, every week, you'll find 50% OFF deals from one of them

Don't waste your money on wieless headsets as they have their own issues. Battery lfe which may not be enough for a long haul flight, going to sleep in order to save battery life. and subject to Interfrence from other radio emitting devices.

Edited by FS++

24 minutes ago, FS++ said:

Can't say for sure.

It has more to do with Microsoft speech engine support for those types of headsets.

I see Dragon recommending a few Buetooth headset, but be aware, they use their own speech engine. And the headsets cost a fortune.

If you already have a Bluetooth one, can't lose anything by giving it a shot.

Click Start->Windows->Assign sound device and see if the device is listed

Run the speech training tool and check it also works there: Start->Multi Crew EXperienc->Speech training.

If you're on the market for a new headset, then our advice is, any wired USB headset it the US$20-US$ 30 price range on amazon.com will do the job.

With so many facturers competing, every week, you'll find 50% OFF deals from one of them

Don't waste your money or wieless headsets as they have their own issues. Battery lfe which may not be enough for a long haul flight, going to sleep in order to save battery life. and subject to Interfrence from other radio emitting devices.

Thanks for the info. I have a Bluetooth headset that I use with my work laptop so I'll give that a go on my sim PC. 

16 hours ago, Alistair Logie said:

Thanks for the info. I have a Bluetooth headset that I use with my work laptop so I'll give that a go on my sim PC. 

The Ultimate test is to use the Microsoft built-in speech trainer accessible via Windows Control Panel. If that doesn't work, you can assume Microsoft speech engine doesn't like your device.

Let us know. Thanks

I tried it briefly yesterday in MCE and the microphone side of things seemed to work very well. I was having issues routing the MCE output to the headphones but I think that’s just going to require a little more fiddling. I’ll be away from my PC until tomorrow and will spend some more time working on it. 
The specific product (Mpow Pro Trucker Bluetooth Headset V5.0) isn’t available on Amazon now but it was only $24 so very reasonably priced. 

• Like 1

I was able to get everything working. Unfortunately the plan was to use the single earpiece for all the voice audio (MCE and PF3) and leave the other sound coming through my speakers, but it seems that the speech recognition is having a hard time with the ambient cockpit noise. 
Do most people use a headset with all the audio coming through it?

11 hours ago, Alistair Logie said:

I was able to get everything working. Unfortunately the plan was to use the single earpiece for all the voice audio (MCE and PF3) and leave the other sound coming through my speakers, but it seems that the speech recognition is having a hard time with the ambient cockpit noise. 
Do most people use a headset with all the audio coming through it?

Thanks for feedback.

Ideally, all audio should be routed to headset. At least for the best experience.

Having said that, it's possible to use it your way.

But need to understand that the speech profile you trained under near silent conditions isn't going to cut it when engine sounds are blasting through the speakers.

At the very least, you should ensure...

Volume isn't too loud on speakers and that they are positioned in such a manner they don't feed noise into the microphone.

You'll need an ad-hoc speech profile that takes into account ambient noise.

Record a few minutes of the typical ambient noise you're experienceing with flight sim (on your cell phone or other), while engines are running and such.

Create a brand new speech profile in Windows, make it active and train it from scratch.

Before you train it, play the pre-recorded audio in a loop, calibrate your mike and use our speech trainer. It should improve things.