Sign in to follow this  
skylineapa

Changing aircraft manufacturer name

I know that this can be done in the aircraft.cfg file under
ui_manufacturer ="SOCATA"
ui_type ="TB-21 Trinidad GT" as an example.

Most 3rd party add-ons use this format. But Asobo and a few 3rd party add-ons use
ui_manufacturer = "TT:AIRCRAFT.UI_MANUFACTURER"
ui_type = "TT:AIRCRAFT.UI_MODEL"

I assume the TT:Aircraft entry points to a file containing the manufacturer and type information. Does anyone know where this file is located?

And am I right in saying that changing the Manufacturer name for the Waco YMF-5 from Carenado to Waco isn't possible as there is no aircraft.cfg file?

Thanks, Peter

7 hours ago, skylineapa said:

I assume the TT:Aircraft entry points to a file containing the manufacturer and type information. Does anyone know where this file is located?

Those are strings for localization.    The actual text is contained in the various *.locPak files that you see scattered around the sim.

Thank you Rob for this information which did allow to do the changes.

No I can have Cessna and Beechcraft listed as Manufacturer instead of Textron Aviation and Ryan instead of A1R Design Bureau!

44 minutes ago, skylineapa said:

Thank you Rob for this information which did allow to do the changes.

No I can have Cessna and Beechcraft listed as Manufacturer instead of Textron Aviation and Ryan instead of A1R Design Bureau!

oooooohh please can you elaborate on that?

• Upvote 1

Beechcraft Bonanza G36

14 hours ago, wim123 said:

oooooohh please can you elaborate on that?

I meant to write NOW and not NO in case it confused you.

Even though Textron Aviation does own Cessna and Beechcraft, I didn't like the fact that Asobo had Cessna and Beechcraft combined under Textron Aviation.

I have the Steam version and each Asobo aircraft has its own folder in the Official folder. In each aircraft folder is a whole bunch of .locPak files for many languages. And if you use english, open the en-US.locPak file which looks like that.

{
  "LocalisationPackage": {
    "Language": "en-US",
    "Strings": {
      "AIRCRAFT.DESCRIPTION": "At the end of World War II, Beech Aircraft Company ......",
      "AIRCRAFT.UI_MANUFACTURER": "Textron Aviation",
      "AIRCRAFT.UI_MODEL": "Beechcraft Bonanza G36",
    }
  }
}

Now if you change "AIRCRAFT.UI_MANUFACTURER": "Textron Aviation", to "Beechcraft" and "AIRCRAFT.UI_MODEL": "Beechcraft Bonanza G36" to "G36 Bonanza", the aircraft will be listed under Beechcraft in the aircraft selection menu and the type shows as G36 Bonanza.

This also works with Asobo aircraft which don't have an aircraft.cfg file. It also works with new liveries in the community folder if the author didn't "hard code" the manufacturer and type in the aircraft.cfg file.

I hope this helps.
Cheers, Peter

Edited by skylineapa

6 hours ago, skylineapa said:

I have the Steam version and each Asobo aircraft has its own folder in the Official folder. In each aircraft folder is a whole bunch of .locPak files for many languages. And if you use english, open the en-US.locPak file which looks like that.

Should be the same for the Store version except for the path to the "Official" folder.

However, do be aware that making changes to the "Official" files may cause the entire aircraft to be re-downloaded next time the sim is updated, and your changes will be overwritten.

A better bet would be a mod that is installed in the community folder that overrides the language file (en-US.locPak in this case). Unfortunately, I have no idea how to create such a mod.

Regards,

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

I apologize for bumping this older thread but when I went in to game today, there are aircraft entries in the DCD or Carenado en-US.locPak files other than description.  Did things change yet again?

Does anyone have any updated information for editing aircraft menu names under current game version?

Thank you

KevinB

Edited by idiotlibrarian