Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

Visual flight path problems - flies right over airport

Guest nemoblackdog

In FSX, I was flying an approach in to Colorado Springs (KCOS), I set the NAV1 freq to the ILS (109.90) and enabled the "Visual Flight Path".The flight path drawn by the red squares did not intercept the runway, but instead flew me right over the airport. Other airports (KDEN, KPHX) seem OK, so is this a bug or did I set up something incorrectly? In the Visual Flight Path setup dialog, I left the MSL altitude set to "0" (default).I also notice the visual flight path doesn't come on at all for Aspen (KASE) with the freq @ 111.15

>In FSX, I was flying an approach in to Colorado Springs>(KCOS), I set the NAV1 freq to the ILS (109.90) and enabled>the "Visual Flight Path".>>The flight path drawn by the red squares did not intercept the>runway, but instead flew me right over the airport. >>Other airports (KDEN, KPHX) seem OK, so is this a bug or did I>set up something incorrectly? In the Visual Flight Path setup>dialog, I left the MSL altitude set to "0" (default).>>I also notice the visual flight path doesn't come on at all>for Aspen (KASE) with the freq @ 111.15>>>To tell you the truth, I've never used this. I'll go check it out and report back what I find.

Ok, first off, what runway were you landing on? The GPS says ILS should be on 17L, which I also notice is listed as CLOSED INDEFINITELY on the AirNav page.109.90 on ILS1 gives me the exact same thing. I switched to the GPS listed 109.10 of 17L, and the visual path popped right in, heading right down the glideslope of 17L.

One airport in Montreal had the same issue for one runway when FS2004 was released - and I don't think anyone ever figured out how to fix it.

On occasions, I mistaken the approach & come in at thewrong end of the red squares & they fly off and away overthe airport - can happen.Peter Sydney Australia

I also notice the visual flight path doesn't come on at all for Aspen (KASE) with the freq @ 111.15The visual flight path is controlled by the Glide Path which turns a Localizer into an ILS.KASE does not have a Glide Path / ILS. It it has a localizer only to help pilots line up with the runway.The pilots have to control their own descent into KASE - which is 6.59 degrees according to the approach chart - over twice as steep as a normal ILS.http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0701/05889LDE.PDFOne other important tool / requirement is to know the designator of the ILS localizer you are trying to follow. This is displayed on the panel of some aircraft, on others you will have to listen to and recognize the morse code on the Nav1 radio frequency.It is possible to capture the wrong end of a runway if both ILS are on the same frequency in FS. That is not the situation at KCOS where 35L is ICOS on 109.9 and 17L is ILPI on 109.1You were lining up to land on 35L correct - heading north?