Sign in to follow this  
RAMMSTEIN1977

P3D V5.2 Freeze Application Hang

Hi,
Unfortunately I have problems with V5.2 again
It happens to me that P3D just gets stuck and crashes at some point.
Event Viewer only says: Application Hang
Otherwise nothing, no DLL or anything else.

The first time, shortly after landing in EGGL ... Now EDDP - LLBG shortly before descent, it just got stuck ... I waited a few more minutes
whether maybe comes back ... But there was nothing left to do.

Unfortunately, very annoying, because I have no idea where the problem is now. Because nothing is in the event viewer.

Do you have any tips on where to start looking?
11110ukr3.jpg

44 minutes ago, RAMMSTEIN1977 said:

Unfortunately, very annoying, because I have no idea where the problem is now. Because nothing is in the event viewer.

Welcome to the club, P3D and MSFS shouldn't be called sims today but more like experiments.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

APPHANG means the application got into a loop and stopped responding to Windows. Eventually it gets terminated (or more likely, you got the 'white screen' and clicked to close it rather than wait for it to respond - which sometimes, BTW, it does do). There is no faulting module because it isn't caused by an unhandled exception, it's caused by the OS terminating the process. 

It could be caused by anything that is in-process to Prepar3d.exe which includes all add-ons that load a DLL into the sim. First step would be to deactivate all add-ons and try again. If it doesn't hang, then re-introduce your add-ons one at a time until you get a hang. That will most likely be the add-on responsible. Then you can check their support. 

If the sim hangs with absolutely no add-ons of any kind enabled then it's most likely a problem with the graphics subsystem. Check you have the latest display driver, and turn your settings all the way left and then gradually increase them one by one until you get a hang. That will point you in the right direction or at least get you better things to Google for. I'm afraid with this kind of issue you have to experiment to find the cause.

While I appreciate the frustration that these sorts of problems cause, and it's certainly the case for some (me included) that v5 seems less stable generally than v4, you have to appreciate that developing this kind of high-performance simulation software is hard. Building software that can be plugged into by third parties is harder again because now you have to cater in your testing for all the possible permutations of add-ons and settings that people could have. And in truth, that is such a wide scope that it's impossible to test every combination. Something will always slip through. 

Look at Windows - Microsoft has dedicated hardware labs to test tens of thousands of combinations of hardware and software with the latest release of Windows, and yet almost everyone who has Windows has had an intractable mysterious bug at some point. There's a reason why people generally think the Mac is more stable: Mac is a closed hardware platform (and a fairly closed software platform) and so they have to do far less testing, because their customers have only Apple hardware options and mostly Apple software. A flight sim that didn't allow any add-ons except those made by the developers would be far easier to keep stable, and even then it's a significant challenge as Asobo has discovered (yes, MSFS allows 3rd party add-ons, but the base sim itself was buggy as all hell to start with and got buggier with every release for months). But P3D is a simulation platform, not a complete product, and even some core parts of the platform (TrueSky etc) are not written by LM and they don't have full control over them. There's a reason why many of LM's commercial customers are still on P3Dv3, because it's had time to get the bugs ironed out and to be stable for them. 

I know that does nothing to solve your problem, but as a software developer (albeit not in the simulation space) I appreciate the challenge the developers have here and I will always give them the benefit of the doubt even if I'm annoyed as all hell (and my posting history will show you I'm not shy of complaining about P3D). 

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT