Sign in to follow this  
Guest wyoming

For those contemplating the VISTA O.S. vs XP O.S for FSX might want to read this article.

Guest Ozzie

>>Well said. I personally don't think MS gives a darn about>>their honest consumers nor the inconvenience and expense>that>>result from MS's draconian and invasive so called>anti-piracy>>measures. Whats really funny is that similar restrictions>>have never worked that well before and I have my doubts that>>they will work any better in Vista either. I guess we'll>see.>> As long as there are so many people who are more than >>willing to bend over and take it in the shorts and pay>>exorbitant amounts of money for windows products MS will>keep>>tightening the screws a little more each time. How sad>that>>so many people are so blindly willing to relinquish control>of>>their computers to a company that has been convicted in>courts>>of law at least twice for illegal monopolistic practices. >If>>you are willing to give your freedoms away-they will gladly>>take them from you. XP for me for now until I decide to buy>>Vista or they shove it down my throat by pulling XP support>>out from under me. >>Here's a direct quote from the U.S. Federal Trade Commission>regarding the recent Sony audio CD anti-piracy software that>was installed on PCs without knowledge and consent:>>"Consumers' computers belong to them, and companies must>adequately disclose unexpected limitations on the customary>use of their products so consumers can make informed decisions>regarding whether to purchase and install that content," FTC>Chairman Deborah Majoras said in a statement.>>Trust me... there's a new lawsuit brewing, it's just a matter>of time before someone goes after DRM in Vista.Hear Hear - Roll on the battle and lets see if we can get some honest Judges to decide this time EVEN after the appealsThe last one in the US was a farce in the end - hopefully the EU will pull them into gearAnd NO! - I do not have pirate software - but I do have a very useful Office 97 (98SE) AND an Office 2000 (98SE) on different machines (FULLY PAID for) that STILL do everything asked of themWHY should I be forced to upgrade to something I dont need? - except to "play" with a Flight Simulator that I like to relax with

Guest Ozzie

Touche - and of course WEALL know that the producers of Vista would never step THAT low - Dont we?

Guest Ozzie

>Any yet another post that is just dripping of incorrect>facts:>>You referencing a case by SONY. Old news and it does not have>anything to do with Vista or Microsoft.>>Missing software?>Name ONE example>>No-longer active software?>Not happening, if not legitimally purchased>>Hardware crippled?>Usually poor drivers from 3rd party manufacturers>>Locked out of the system?>Write down your password and do a backup. This practise has>been common for 20+ years>>Software added by Vista?>Security patches. Can be de-activated. Clearly notifies you>that you consent for the OS periodically checking for updates.>Read the EULA and read what checkboxes you click on. Noone>seems to do that anymore. Nothing new compared to XP.>>Nothing has anything to do with Vista. GET YOUR FACTS>STRAIGHT.>>Pat>Sorry PatMissing software?>Name ONE exampleOffice 97 - there is NOTHING in the EULA that says that I cannot put it onto any damned machine I like as LONG AS I REMOVE IT from the "other" machine - that is that I ONLY have it on a single machine at any one timeVista removes my right to do this

Guest Charlie

>>>>I have a DVD burner. I have a right, yes right to use it. >>>Vista will shut it down, completely. That's not an>>>inconvenience, it's theft.>>>>>Great points! Thank you!! There are a few more of us than I>>would have guessed. :-beerchug >>>Oh YES - there are quite a lot of us :-beerchug >Hi Ozzie,So good to see a man of principle and perspective chime in here regularly.I

>I have a DVD burner. I have a right, yes right to use it. >Vista will shut it down, completely. That's not an>inconvenience, it's theft.>No, it's theft if you attempt to burn premium content that you do not have the rights for. At least, that's the way it stands now. I don't like it any more than you do, so fight for proper extension of the fair use doctrine.

>Office 97 - there is NOTHING in the EULA that says that I>cannot put it onto any damned machine I like as LONG AS I>REMOVE IT from the "other" machine - that is that I ONLY have>it on a single machine at any one time>>Vista removes my right to do this>Wrong-o.Read the EULA:15. REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE.a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may uninstall the software and install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between devices.

Not a bad idea. Be sure to make an installation & update it fully then save it so that when MS stops supporting XP you'll still have a way to run FS!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Guest garyw2005

Some developer of FSX or maybe a beta tester said that when we upgrade to Vista we will be able to use FSX to it's full potential. Isn't FSX a 32 bit program? How well does a 32 bit program in a 64 bit enviroment?Gary

>Some developer of FSX or maybe a beta tester said that when>we upgrade to Vista we will be able to use FSX to it's full>potential. Isn't FSX a 32 bit program? How well does a 32 bit>program in a 64 bit enviroment?>>GaryVista is a 32bit OS, unless you want the 64bit version.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

>>I have a DVD burner. I have a right, yes right to use it. >>Vista will shut it down, completely. That's not an>>inconvenience, it's theft.>>>No, it's theft if you attempt to burn premium content that you>do not have the rights for. At least, that's the way it>stands now. I don't like it any more than you do, so fight>for proper extension of the fair use doctrine.I said nothing about burning "premium content". What I stated was that if Vista determines it's "possible" to do just that... it will disable your DVD burner, without even caring if you're actually doing it or not.I suggest that you go learn the details of what DRM will do, without user consent, before posting about it again. ;)

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest Ozzie

>>Office 97 - there is NOTHING in the EULA that says that I>>cannot put it onto any damned machine I like as LONG AS I>>REMOVE IT from the "other" machine - that is that I ONLY>have>>it on a single machine at any one time>>>>Vista removes my right to do this>>>Wrong-o.>>Read the EULA:>>15. REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE.>a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may>uninstall the software and install it on another device for>your use. You may not do so to share this license between>devices.Well - you may just have caught me with that commentSO! - I will go back just one step to XP and relate a REAL LIVE situationI obviously have more than one machineThere is the "old clunker" that my wife uses with FS98 and Office 97 (fully bloody PAID for) that she feels comfortable with because that is what she used when at workThere is then my "old clunker" with FS98 and Office 2000 (fully bloody PAID for) that I was comfortable with because it was part of my "retirement package" - including the hardware that was then setup to my wishes because I intensly disliked XP (I worked in the industry)Eventually I got interested in FS and went through all the different "stages" that were in the "throw-out" bins at the various supermarketsI then got caught up in the "HYPE" of FS9 and bought it immediately - WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT - it was "garbage" on my machine - So I then resorted to places like this to find out WHYThe answer was to spend $3000 on a NEW machine - this machine came with XP Pro whether I liked it or not - BUT I was happy when I installed FS9 on it and it worked to my satisfaction - I even remembered to "REMOVE FS9" FROM THE OLD MACHINE before installing it on the new one (well in truth - it was a couple of days later after I got over the excitement)I then started doing all the "things" that one does and enjoyedTHEN - I decided to "join the machines" in a network (a couple of months later)- Bad mistake - I used one of them damned WIZARDSThat is about when all #### broke looseAfter several hours of frustration talking to the 3rd or 4th "freddie" in India over many days (at my expense - their Friggin 1800 numbers would NOT work) - it was pointed out to me that I had contravened the EULA of "something" - it was explained to me (in fits of laughter) that "tough titties" - I had broken the rules and they would not help me - it was THEIR conclusion that I has PIRATE copies of OfficeOf course Vista will be different Sh1t - there goes a full squadron of pink polka dotted flying pigs with straight tails evenGET REAL

>I said nothing about burning "premium content". What I stated>was that if Vista determines it's "possible" to do just>that... it will disable your DVD burner, without even caring>if you're actually doing it or not.>>I suggest that you go learn the details of what DRM will do,>without user consent, before posting about it again. ;)I suggest that you take your own advice. To help you out, I'll even give you a good place to start:http://msmvps.com/blogs/chrisl/archive/200.../25/519180.aspxUnless Vista thinks you're trying to burn premium content (that is, content protected by DRM) without a license, you can burn away to your heart's content.

Guest Rayed

>>Someone cannot seriously think that MS would jeopardize their>business by applying illegal spying tactics - especially with>all eyes from a tons of governments and anti-trust>organizations on them.All it takes is a average hacker finding a way to exploit Vista's driver revocation mechanism, tilt bits and similar stuff. Then target some foreign goverment office running Vista or a hospital. MS is in deep shiznit already, because it is bound to happen, sooner or later.DRM will not stop piracy, it will only hurt legal users and bring a lot of money to those who CONTROL the content distribution and usage, Vista is already cracked and level of brainwash in this thread is as big as Vista's memory footprint.And no, FSX will not run faster on Vista.quote"Sh1t - there goes a full squadron of pink polka dotted flying pigs with straight tails evenGET REAL"But there is still hope.. :)

Guest dom993

I would suggest to use a home router in-between your Win98 PC & DSL or Cable modem.