Sign in to follow this  
NZAA

172 / 152 Tutorial

Are there any good step by step tutorials for how to fly from point a to point b using these aircraft? 

There’s a built in 152 tutorial. I’d start with that. 

There are also flight lessons hosted by a (EDIT: pilot, not CFI) with Jayne, the MSFS community manager. They’re all on the MSFS official Twitch.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/831788115

Transferring over to the C172 shouldn’t be hard - it just has more horsepower and a fuel-injected system instead of a carburetor. Let me know if you need any help with the 172, as that’s a plane I fly IRL.

Edited by FlyingInACessna

38 minutes ago, FlyingInACessna said:

There are also flight lessons hosted by a CFI with Jayne, the MSFS community manager.

I was going to let this slide…but nah. I’m going to be “that guy”. Mr Forder is not a CFI…not even close. 

• Like 1

Chris

4 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

I was going to let this slide…but nah. I’m going to be “that guy”. Mr Forder is not a CFI…not even close. 

He isn’t? What? My bad! They really sell him as a CFI don’t they…

Yeah, he is simply a private, single-engine, non-instrument rated pilot in Canada who does flight simulator “lessons” online on places like Udemy/Skillshare/etc and passes them off as a way to save thousands of dollars on actual flight training. Pretty audacious if you ask me….which you didn’t so I’ll drop it 😂

Edited by snglecoil
  • Like 1

Chris

19 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

Yeah, he is simply a private, single-engine, non-instrument rated pilot in Canada who does flight simulator “lessons” online on places like Udemy/Skillshare/etc and passes them off as a way to save thousands of dollars on actual flight training. Pretty audacious if you ask me….which you didn’t so I’ll drop it 😂

Yikes. I think simulators in general and use of VATSIM can save a bit of money on training (mostly because of familiarity of the world of aviation, ATC communications, basic understanding of cockpit orientation, etc.), but paying for a Udemy course from a random private pilot is a horrible idea 😕

Edited by FlyingInACessna

1 hour ago, FlyingInACessna said:

There’s a built in 152 tutorial. I’d start with that. 

There are also flight lessons hosted by a CFI with Jayne, the MSFS community manager. They’re all on the MSFS official Twitch.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/831788115

Transferring over to the C172 shouldn’t be hard - it just has more horsepower and a fuel-injected system instead of a carburetor. Let me know if you need any help with the 172, as that’s a plane I fly IRL.

17 mins in, he keeping chuckling at bad jokes. Does he get to the point?

Edited by NZAA

10 minutes ago, NZAA said:

17 mins in, he keeping chuckling at bad jokes. Does he get to the point?

Haven’t watched all the way through myself 😕 maybe skip around.

I got my license in the C 152, and to get OKd for  the 172 I had just a bit over  an hour of dual with an instructor. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

9 hours ago, NZAA said:

Are there any good step by step tutorials for how to fly from point a to point b using these aircraft? 

There are a few different ways that it is done in real life. The C152 in MSFS doesn’t have GPS so you navigate using an aeronautical map and techniques know as pilotage and deduced reckoning (aka dead reckoning). Can I assume from your screen name you are from New Zealand? If so I’m not sure the best source for navigation charts for your country, but skyvector.com should suffice for simulator needs. 

Here is a YouTube playlist from an actual CFI based in the US that covers basic navigation under Visual Flight Rules. She does it with a paper chart and plotter, but you can draw a course on SkyVector electronically (and it is already corrected for magnetic variation) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYM4A_uxTw0&list=PLTaK2N2T1t_fNmfuQpIig0GYJWgaiSZhu

Have a look and let me know what questions you have and I’d be happy to try and answer the best I can. 

Chris