Sign in to follow this  
NM5K

FSX Rate of Descent Stumbles

Guest C ougar02

Using FSX, flying turbojets like the Lear 45 and the CRJ, when descending from altitude using ATC step downs, I have noticed that as the ship levels at an intermediate altitude prior to getting another descent altitude clearance(e.g descending from FL380 to FL260, with the ship beginning to capture and level off prior to ATC issuing a further descent clearance to a lower altitude - ATC normally doesn't call until you are around 200-300 feet from your assigned capture altitude, at which point the ship is slowing it's rate of descent for the altitude capture), as the ship levels and the rate of descent drops to around five hundred feet per minute, once the ATC clearance allows further descent, and the lower altitude is selected (in our example, let's say further descent clearance is to FL190), the ship only begins descending at around 700 feet per minute, even though the selector still indicates 1800 fpm (my default rate of descent, in this example). I have to manually hit the selector and push it to 1900 or 2000 fpm to get the ship going downhill at a good rate again, then re-select whatever rate of descent I desire.Has anyone else noticed this anomoly during flight? It doesn't seem to affect the aircraft on ascent, only during the descent phase of flight and when using step down clearances provided via the built-in MS FSX ATC.

Yes, the same thing happens to me. First time it happened by the time I realised I was way too high for an approach as it was only decending at 1000fpm. (wasn't paying attention :( )Now I just wait for some good payware jets like the PMDG MD11 and 744.

Unfortunately that might not help. I've installed the feelThere 777 and the same thing happens. It also occurs with a number of freeware birds I've installed. It could be a bug, but it's a relatively minor one. You just have to keep it in mind and work around it.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Yea, I've noticed that too. What I usuaully do is bump the setting up a 1000 a bit before I get the call by ATC.They call at 200 ft before assigned..Of course, if the radio gets busy, and I don't get the callin time, I'll have to roll it back real fast to avoidbusting my alt. But usually, they hollar in time..IE: I'm cleared to Fl 18.0 from whatever.. I'll set it to17k so when I do reset the alt setting, I'm still descendingat my chosen rate. I guess it is a bug, unless it's an attempt to mimic the real life AP more closely.. IE: in the real plane, just setting the alt will not start the descent.You have to tell it how fast first, if I remember right. The only past boeing panel I had that was close to real life wasthe old Earnst 757/767 panel. But it's been so long since I used it, I had to go back to the stock AP fisher price versions.. :/Also, there does seem to be a bug in the lear autothrottle control. It has a nasty habit of unhooking while switchingfrom a IAS to mach climb, during mach climb, etc..I have to watch it all the time during a mach climb to make sure it's actually working.. When it quits, I have to turn it off, turn it back on, reset to mach from IAS, then reset the speed. Then itworks again.. For a while anyway...The problem is in the "mach" mode.. Using the IAS speed setting mode, it's ok. I haven't noticed that on the 737..MK