Sign in to follow this  
Frederico12

GNS 430 runs very very slow on windows 11 (resolved)

After the windows 11 update to the release version my GNS 430 updates information on the screen at a very slow pace, this is a xplane 11 problem only, i have the GNS 530 and GTN 650 on P3D and its running the same as before.

Any sugestions?

Exemple

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the video, it is most helpful to better understand. Do I also see correctly in the video that even if you click an GNS button, it takes more time to display the action on the screen? (I'm not sure whether you're clicking or not in the video some times).

Can you please let me know what does the XP11 Plugin Admin | Performance tab is reporting for the GNS?

Here is an example of what it should look like:

XP11_GNS_GTN_perfs_2.jpg

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Yes during the video when clicking it also takes extra time to get a response from the GNS, it also happens on the default aircraft.

I took a screenshot of the plugin admin.

spacer.pngspacer.png

It looks like it is operating at a normal GNS speed IRL !

This is peculiar even more so if this is only happening with the GNS ini XP11, but not the same GNS ini P3D. What are your CPU and GPU?

In the case this applies to your system, there is an official AMD performance warning with Win11:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-400

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

I am running a RTX 2070 super with a 5600x, i did see the problem with the L3 cache latency being high but all benchmarks and games showed no change in peformance.

The main problem for me is that everything from the GNS is slowed down, including auto pilot comands, so the aircraft will not really follow the GNS only lazily turning in one direction until it overshoots the route.

And then again, for some reason this is only happening on xplane, P3D is running like nothing changed.

On 10/8/2021 at 6:09 PM, Frederico12 said:

And then again, for some reason this is only happening on xplane, P3D is running like nothing changed.

This is what is most concerning to me for debugging this problem. 

We don't have any Win11 installation readily available yet on our end to test and troubleshoot this, but the fact it runs fine with P3D is telling me there might be something in the XP11 SDK which we are using which is not working as expected with Win11. I've been trying to find resources or hints since last week but I've failed to find anything relevant for now and it might take some more time until we figure this one out.

Just to make sure: do you have the GNS on both XP11 and P3D or the GNS on XP11 and the GTN on P3D?

On 10/14/2021 at 1:51 PM, RXP said:

Just to make sure: do you have the GNS on both XP11 and P3D or the GNS on XP11 and the GTN on P3D?

I have the GNS 430 on xplane and the GNS 530 on P3D, but i also have the GTN 650 on P3D.

Thank you.

The problem looks like the "internal clock" in the GNS simulation is running slower. If this was an Win11 problem this would be affecting the GNS in both P3D and XP11 because it is the same Garmin trainer process running in the background in both cases. Since it is only showing up on XP11 on your system, this might just be related to XP11 itself in a certain way. In this case, the only difference between our P3D and XP11 implementation, with regard to the "internal clock", is that the GNS is updating on a thread we handle in the former, whereas it is updating in a XP11 thread (a flight loop) in the latter. However if XP11 would be having a problem with its flight loop threads implementation on Win11, this would be affecting a lot of your add-ons. This is why this is peculiar!

I'm not sure you've tried this yet, but what about the GNS in the default Baron?

Edited by RXP

6 hours ago, RXP said:

I'm not sure you've tried this yet, but what about the GNS in the default Baron?

The default GNS on the Baron works normally, and the only other paywere aircraft i have is the hot start TBM, it uses a modified G1000 from xplane and that is working ok too.

Now i did try to use the GNS 430 on the baron to see if it worked, still the same, but i found out something a bit random that brings the GNS back up to speed for a few seconds, restarting it changing a configuration that requires the GNS to restart or just flicking the battery very fast 🤣

It does go back to being slow after a few seconds, but maybe you can figure something out of this rather random looking events? note that if i turn the battery off for more time than a second it will just be slow from the start.

https://youtu.be/xn_TyB-AoAg

Just to say that I'm having the very same problem. I did a clean installation of Windows 11, but preserving my X-Plane installation. I had uninstalled the RXP software before and reinstalled it after the Windows upgrade.

6 hours ago, Kakugo said:

Just to say that I'm having the very same problem. I did a clean installation of Windows 11, but preserving my X-Plane installation. I had uninstalled the RXP software before and reinstalled it after the Windows upgrade.

Just to add that I also tried with a clean X-Plane install with just the RXP GNS plugin and the problem is still very apparent: booting the GNS takes ages and then it's very sluggish.

Eventually I reinstalled Windows 10, and the GNS started working fine again. It's definitely something with Windows 11...

On 11/4/2021 at 5:06 AM, Kakugo said:

Eventually I reinstalled Windows 10, and the GNS started working fine again. It's definitely something with Windows 11...

Looks like thats a Windows 11 problem with the GNS then, lets wait and see if that can be fixed.

For those that upgraded you have 10 days do go back to windows 10 via the windows update.

On 11/5/2021 at 10:24 AM, Frederico12 said:

Looks like thats a Windows 11 problem with the GNS then, lets wait and see if that can be fixed.

Unfortunately for now this is a problem we can't repro for many reasons: we can't have a machine devoted to Win11 right now) and it doesn't seem to show any adverse problem in a virtual machine either (but here we run it standalone with a custom made launcher application, not with XP11). I've been trying to find any relevant information in the Windows API docs which could explain, or at least hint, to what could be happening and I've not found any significant information at all either?!

I'm afraid this one will take a little longer to solve, but I can assure you that I won't let this down either: if there is a problem with Win11 we'll do our best to find the reasons and to solve it, because Win11 will increasingly become the prevalent Win OS version in the coming years anyhow.

Edited by RXP