Sign in to follow this  
Frederico12

GNS 430 runs very very slow on windows 11 (resolved)

I found a solution that works for me at least on Windows 11 and Xplane 11 - First, go to nvidia control panel and set the power mode to 'Prefer Maximum Performance'; then, run Xplane as admin. 

I was in the same boat as pkaser above - spent more than 20 hours this weekend getting a new 12700F up and running and would really do just about anything not to roll back to Windows 10 - I would if I could but this processor uses E and P cores differently in Windows 11 and so Windows 10 is, unfortunately for me, not a possibility.

Gotta say, to anybody who comes across this thread - Windows 11 is horrendous and if you can avoid it, do not upgrade. Period. I am constantly dumbfounded by the changes Microsoft has made - you can't ungroup taskbar items, right click is broken with no way to fix other than a registry hack, you can't use small taskbar icons, you can't right click sound to get the volume mixer anymore. These are, truly, just a few of the things. If I could run Windows 10 on this CPU I would do so immediately. 

I'll report back if anything changes on my end.

• Like 1

So running XPlane as administrator seems to have corrected this issue for me. I was having a similar slow down in Air Manager and running javaw.exe as administrator also corrected that as well it seems.

Thank you for the help!

Patrick

• Like 1

Hi,

Thank you all for your feedback. We're still trying to get to the bottom of this but alas there is not much clear solution for now.

Some have reported disabling HyperV is helping, some others are reporting running as-admin is helping too (but I don't like the idea of having to run as-admin just for this). Even the latest SteamVR v1.22.5 update includes specific note to an issue which sounds related (but we haven't found any specific information about it yet):

"Fix for Win11 multimedia timer resolution issue that was causing pink frame spikes on some systems. Special thanks to Miguel Caballero for helping track this down!"

This issue with Win11 which also only affects the GNS and not the GTN is really peculiar, but we keep looking.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Is it possible it has something to do with the GNS running on E-cores instead of P-cores and affecting the timing relative to the sim? That might be overcomplicating it, but the E/P cores is the biggest difference between Windows 11 and Windows 10, AFAIK,

On 4/12/2022 at 4:06 PM, Rylo said:

Is it possible it has something to do with the GNS running on E-cores instead of P-cores and affecting the timing relative to the sim? That might be overcomplicating it, but the E/P cores is the biggest difference between Windows 11 and Windows 10, AFAIK,

I can only say that I have an AMD CPU and I had the issue, so it's unlikely it's related to the Alder Lake architecture.

Can confirm that running it as administrator did work.

Does xplane (or the plugin) store any settings in a user-specific folder? That could explain why running as administrator is not behaving in the same way?

I am having this issue as well and am running Windows 11 and didn't have this issue with Windows 10 and it seems like it is running at a much reduced clock speed and every command is laggy. Hope you manage to get to the bottom of this as I miss using the GNS. I do have the GTN too and it is fine just the GNS affected.

Just tried running as administrator after reading some of the previous posts and that did the trick for me too so seems like a permissions problem. Strange it doesn't seem to affect the GTN in the same way but am glad to have it back working properly

Hi,

We've released v2.4.22 a few days ago with a new Win11 compatibility fix:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/534858-06may22-rxp-gns-530w430w-v2-x-plane-v2422-released/

Please let me know if this solves this issue on your Win11 system when not running as-admin too.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Installed the new update and now the 430 works at normal speed, nice and snappy.

Windows 11, xplane 11 steam, running and starting the application through steam (no running as admin or any extra steps)

Cheers

• Like 1

Update fixed my issues with slow startup (Windows 11/P3D5.3HF2). Thanks again for a great product and customer support.

• Like 1