Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken_Salter

Anybody going to see 'United 93'???

Guest Water Mango

Just wondering if any simmers are going to see 'United 93'... I personally have no interest in this movie as 9/11 was a hard enough time to live through. I don't want to put myself through feeling what I felt that day and watching helplessly as so many perished. Unlike a movie about Pearl Harbor, this movie almost seems in bad taste (and I stress almost)... In the long run I feel this movie would help future generations remember and not forget this tragic event in US history. For those of us who lived through this sad day, it's not something compelling to keep revisiting. I can only imagine how people must have felt when Pearl Harbor got hit but 9/11 was far more sinister. I wouldn't feel simmers would be into something like this as we all hope for the safest possible flights whether real or virtual. It's almost like asking do you plane on using CaptainSim's 757 to run into the Pentagon. Nevertheless I thought I'd ask you guys because I'm curious to read the reasons people would go see this movie.

No. There was a good A&E version a few months ago, and I wonder what would make a theater version of the same event better. The A&E version was decent and also tasteful. It seeme more of a documentary than a typical dramatic movie.- Martin

I'm going to this movie on Sunday. IMO, these events should remain very fresh in our minds. It's NOT over!And yes, I do fly real planes, and these events took the heart of flying out of me for quite a while. Didn't care to work on my homebuilt/experimental either, for several weeks.FWIW, I've listened to many interviews today, regarding this movie. In almost all cases, the majority of people who actually saw the movie, feel that everyone should see it. Oh, and BTW, I don't use built in engine failures, etc. when flying flight sim. I want the safest possible flights too, and feel that if an engine was to self destruct every week or two in real life, then I wouldn't bother flying real planes.L.Adamson

Guest Charlie

"It's almost like asking do you plane on usingCaptainSim's 757 to run into the Pentagon."What a bizarre point of view.I absolutely plan on seeing this movie, and I don't go to very many these days. The only thing that could stand in the way of that is if the early reviews were so awful as to convince me otherwise.I'd be surprised if the interest in the flight sim community wasn't higher than for the general public.

Guest Kingair315

Personally, after living through both events, do not feel 9/11 was more - sinister - than Pearl Harbor. I followed the news every day during WWII, and tried to enlist at 14. A total of 13 relatives were in various branches of the service in WWII. One was killed in the Bulge. One Uncle was in Pearl, and fortunately lived through it. Then, fought in battles across many Islands, until the war in the Pacific ended. World War II was much more devastating to this country, than 9/11. The -sneak- attack on Pearl was just as unexpected, to me there was more damage, but it was spread across miles. Because there was no TV, the initial impact was not as dramatic, but it effected a lot more people in this country. People in this country need to keep the Iraq war in -perspective- and help to win it. The battle against terrorism means small battles, that will be dragged out possibly for decades. We have a mini media frenzy about each person, killed in Iraq. Sure it is bad for even one man to die, but keep it in perspective. 486 men died in just one battle, in Korea. Over 200,000 soldiers from 35 countries died in three years. Over 1,000,000 civilians died. More were killed in -one-day- on Omaha Beach, than on 9/11 or have died in the entire Iraq war. Several battles during the civil war were much worse than Omaha Beach. In WWII, one out of every 12 men in combat was killed, In Korea, one out of every nine men was killed.But, If we do not finish this reign of Terrorism -one- dirty bomb in Boston, NYC, or D.C. will make 9/11 look small in comparison. I've a nephew and two grandsons in Iraq, who don't want to return until the job is done. Yes, I will see the movie, it honors those who died. Will suffer through it willingly, its a lot easier on me, than the families, but they -approved- of the film. It's worse for veterans, it triggers flashbacks for them. But, thats nothing new. Every day when I see the explosions in the news, I have flashbacks. Every time I see a soldier in uniform, it brings memories of those I knew who died. But, forgetting or blocking memories is less healthy, and Korea will never be forgotten by those who were there.

From what i have seen and read about this movie its very low budget. So i will wait until a can see it on tv.